Hi,
This is not directly related to immigration but i thought
people here may have some information.

How long will it take to get a ITIN (for filing taxes) for my
spouse? What docs does she need to get one? Her H4 is
expired. She has applied for AOS but she doesn't have an EAD
yet.

Thanks!

In my Case. After about 3 months (may be more than that) after applying The ITIN got rejected stating that the Primary applicant's ITIN not specified or something like that. I dont remember the reason but got rejected. I did not care because I got my spouse EAD and SSN but never got the ITIN.

I Think I May Have Been in your situation

I think I know what you situation is, you need to file your taxes, by April 15th (I think) and show your wife as a dependant, but you can't do it without a ITIN or SSN.

From my memory it took about 6 weeks (4 years ago), so it is unlikely you will get it by mid April. This is not a big problem, you should apply for the ITIN and apply for an extention for your tax return. Extentions for the return are easy (may even be automatic on application). If you have taxes that are due, you need to pay them by the April date (Otherwise fines and penalties). Don't take my word for any of this consult an accountant, but I think you will be ok.

ITIN takes about 5 weeks (in my case)
submit W7 form (available online www.irs.gov), better to take it personally to IRS local office.
Documentation required - Passport and probably a valid H-4 (or H-4 receipt for renewal) and take marriage certificate.
If you get EAD you can get SSN within 2 weeks.
Note: based on my experience, I am not an expert in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took over 2 months for my son. We realized last year that we didn't have the # around April 15. So we had to file for an extension for our taxes and applied for the #. I called IRS after 30 days, they said was still being processed and asked me to just wait it out.

You could call the office in Philadelphia (215-516-4846).
They are quite helpful. They may be able to tell you the number if it has been assigned
Goodluck
KYCP

took over 3 months for my son. i called the philadelphia office, and since the application had been pending for over 3 months (if i remember correctly), they refered me to a "taxpayer's advocate", which is a non-governmental person, who does pro-bono work. she had it expedited, and i received it in the mail within a few days after that. actually, she even gave me the number on the phone as soon as it was issued, even before the letter reached me.