ITIN before 485 and SSN for IRS forms

GreenHope

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

My question is not exactly regarding 485 processing, however I have a query on related issue matter (Actually, my 485 was approved ~3months ago).

Until last year, I was filing IRS forms with my wife's 'ITIN' (Individual Tax Identification Number'). However, now she has a SSN. So, I am supposed to enter SSN on the 1040 forms. Btw, during the last year, I paid advance taxes based on ITIN as well as SSN. (ITIN before our 485 was approved and SSN after she got her SSN).

But, how will IRS know that the ITIN and SSNs are for the same person?

Somewhere I read that once you get SSN, you are supposed to goback to IRS and tell them that ITIN is no more valid and they are supposed to update all the old records with new SSN. But, I dont know the procedure. I thought once you get SSN, Social security dept informs IRS. But, apparently it is not so.

Anyone of you had this difficulty? Have you had similar problem? If so, could you please advise.

Thanks a lot, in advance

You have to send a copy of ITIN and SSN to
same addess you sent initial mail for ITIN
The letter IRS sent to you with ITIN has info
on what to do if you get SSN

Somewhere

I remember reading that using the ssn on your new tax return would cause them to automatically link the old itin and the new ssn. Personally this is what I did last year, and so far I haven't heard anything. However, my problems came from trying to e-file when the itin was different to the ssn and I had some trouble getting the authorization codes. Eventually I solved this little problem.

Good luck.

go to the IRS office, if in doubt. I remember that we were asked to inform IRS once SSN was obtained.

good luck...