It will not pass

alejo

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I am in the same situation as many of you

The dream act will not pass this year. The majority of US citizens believe illegal immigrants are invading their country. Too many illegal immigrants are in jail, we are hogging many lower class jobs, huge ammount of street gangs, etc.

The current dream act will never make it into legislation, it should have started with smaller objectives. The school funding on US citizen taxpayer's dime is the main reason. If they just gave us the opportunity to at least help ourselves being able to work and go to college we would have a bigger chance of it passing. Sadly we have our legs cutoff currently and will do so for at least a few more years

Im sure however something will be done. With big issues like this it takes the american people some time to get used to, and that is not right now. THe current system is broken. We can go to highschool but nothing else legally. It gives you a false sense of hope until the day you graduate and the truth hits you like a brick. This encourages alot of illegal activities (drug smuggling, gangs, working illegally) and something will be done

Either going to highschool for us is going to be removed, to partially control the influx of illegal immigrants, or they will allow us to go to college. They will never let us go to college on the money of the US citizens though.

I am not trying to rob you of your hope, but it will take time, Im guessing at least 5 more years and more shaping of the dream act. Reading many of the posts in this forum, I think too many are hanging on to the dream act passing this year. I just felt I needed to warn you guys so you plan ahead, otherwise it would hit you too hard when/if it doesn't pass.

We can never gamble something as important as our future on a single event, yes we have it way harder but just keep your options open, we are not helpless, just as our parents busted their asses to give us a better future.

To future parents plan ahead!. I know usually the truth hits you harder after you become parents and you feel you need a better place for your children, but planning ahead would give your children the full rights they deserve and not be crippled after finishing highschool.

I think we are all realistic enough to realize that the DREAM act may not pass this year, but we can surely try to make it happen. It is better that we give our all and have a huge disappointment if it doesn't pass than to sit around for five years hoping that it fets fixed. I'm not saying this is your attitude, but i think that there is definetely a possibility that the DREAM act might get passed. The more people that I talk to and inform about the issue the more I realize that they want to help. We need Media Awareness.

act_dream said:
It is better that we give our all and have a huge disappointment if it doesn't pass than to sit around for five years hoping that it fets fixed.
That was my point, not to sit around
You must fight for the cause, but also plan ahead for your future not just hanging on to the dream act. It is not the only solution.

America's security obsession has led the govenment to take a hard line against immigrants, specially after 9/11.
It will take time, alot of it unfortunately.

Hi

I believe that the dream act (if passed does not go far enough) it certainly will not help all children!

At present there are many children in the US, brought here by their parents investing and buying a business.

Children of E visa holders, also have no status once they reach 21years, unless they apply for a student visa. This is assuming their parents can afford the fees or the children have good enough grades to study

At the end of the day, children are brought to this country, without choice. Children (if settled and happy) should be able to stay in a place they feel as if its their home

Lets raise awareness, e-mail senators, and keep at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, i favor to include them as long as they were here before the were 16 and been in the country for five years.

alejo said:
Hi, I am in the same situation as many of you

The dream act will not pass this year. The majority of US citizens believe illegal immigrants are invading their country. Too many illegal immigrants are in jail, we are hogging many lower class jobs, huge ammount of street gangs, etc.

The current dream act will never make it into legislation, it should have started with smaller objectives. The school funding on US citizen taxpayer's dime is the main reason. If they just gave us the opportunity to at least help ourselves being able to work and go to college we would have a bigger chance of it passing. Sadly we have our legs cutoff currently and will do so for at least a few more years

Im sure however something will be done. With big issues like this it takes the american people some time to get used to, and that is not right now. THe current system is broken. We can go to highschool but nothing else legally. It gives you a false sense of hope until the day you graduate and the truth hits you like a brick. This encourages alot of illegal activities (drug smuggling, gangs, working illegally) and something will be done

Either going to highschool for us is going to be removed, to partially control the influx of illegal immigrants, or they will allow us to go to college. They will never let us go to college on the money of the US citizens though.

I am not trying to rob you of your hope, but it will take time, Im guessing at least 5 more years and more shaping of the dream act. Reading many of the posts in this forum, I think too many are hanging on to the dream act passing this year. I just felt I needed to warn you guys so you plan ahead, otherwise it would hit you too hard when/if it doesn't pass.

We can never gamble something as important as our future on a single event, yes we have it way harder but just keep your options open, we are not helpless, just as our parents busted their asses to give us a better future.

To future parents plan ahead!. I know usually the truth hits you harder after you become parents and you feel you need a better place for your children, but planning ahead would give your children the full rights they deserve and not be crippled after finishing highschool.

You sure sound depressed man. And i'm sorry for you. But remember, you cannot win thinking that you might lose.

alejo said:
That was my point, not to sit around
You must fight for the cause, but also plan ahead for your future not just hanging on to the dream act. It is not the only solution.

America's security obsession has led the govenment to take a hard line against immigrants, specially after 9/11.
It will take time, alot of it unfortunately.

Alejo, how do you know that? do you something we dont? do you have access to information we dont?

Tell me what is your secret? Remember, politians are crazy and do what they please.

I am sorry if it sounded depressing, but I felt it needed to be posted

Three years ago I was in the same situation many of you. I decided I was not going to wait. To make the story short, I just worked hard, made good connections, and today I own my home, I'm ready to start my family and legal to work in the U.S.

Was it incredibly harder than being able to just go to college and have same rights as citizens? Yes. I know it is frsutrating watching many john doe's go to college on daddy's pocket and lay it to waste, but you are not as helpless as you think.

Just don't sit around doing nothing for your future waiting for a piece of legislation to pass, keep your options open, it will take time.

alejo said:

Three years ago I was in the same situation many of you. I decided I was not going to wait. To make the story short, I just worked hard, made good connections, and today I own my home, I'm ready to start my family and legal to work in the U.S.

Was it incredibly harder than being able to just go to college and have same rights as citizens? Yes. I know it is frsutrating watching many john doe's go to college on daddy's pocket and lay it to waste, but you are not as helpless as you think.

Just don't sit around doing nothing for your future waiting for a piece of legislation to pass, keep your options open, it will take time.

alejo.. what did you do? how did you get out of the situation many kids are facing? help... your feedback is great appreciated!

States Grapple With In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186876,00.html

For most teenagers, going to college is part of the American dream. But the cost of fulfilling that dream has become a source of controversy, as illegal immigrants sometimes pay less than U.S. citizens to attend the same college.

Critics of educational price breaks for illegal immigrants argue that many Americans can't afford to go to college and that these state laws will create an onslaught of illegal aliens trying to take advantage of the lower cost. They also point out that states would bear the brunt of educating these students.

A 2003 study by the University of Illinois at Chicago's Center for Urban Economic Development noted that if every one of Illinois' 2,226 eligible undocumented students that year graduated from Chicago high schools and attended a public university, the annual cost to the state for each graduating class of that size would be between $3.3 million and $11.6 million.

Beginning in 2002, California, Illinois, Kansas, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma Texas, Utah, and Washington enacted legislation allowing alien students who graduate from state high schools and have two to three years of residency apply and receive in-state tuition at one of their public colleges or universities, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

The students must assign an affidavit promising to seek legal immigration status. The requirements are more stringent than the residency requirements for out-of-state students trying to gain in-state tuition, according to backers.

Still, lawsuits are pending in California and Kansas against their statutes and legal challenges have been made against the New York and Texas laws. Legislative challenges have also been made to Utah's law.

"It is the key word here, 'illegal,' and it's also about not only the principle behind that, but the priorities — in funding what the Kansas taxpayers want to fund," Kansas state Rep. Becky Hutchins, who introduced a bill to overturn that state's 2004 law, recently told FOX News, adding that in 2005, 221 students were able to qualify for the price break, up from 37 in 2004.

The Washington Legal Foundation filed formal complaints with the Department of Homeland Security's Office for Civil Rights Division against the New York and Texas law; DHS is responsible for probing possible federal immigration law violations.

Illegal aliens should not receive any benefits. They should receive no breaks in college tuition and certianly should not be able to pay less that legal US citizens. :mad:

alejo said:

i didnt say you sounded depressing, i said you sounded depressed

we are not just sitting around doing nothing for our future. We are fighting for DREAM.

juang said:
i didnt say you sounded depressing, i said you sounded depressed

we are not just sitting around doing nothing for our future. We are fighting for DREAM.
I am far from depressed, however it is sadreading about the situation thousands of illegal immigrants are in.
Also it is completely irrelevant if I sound depressed or not, that is not my point so don't knit pick

You can fight for the dream act, but it is not something you are doing 24/7 anyways. You can/HAVE TO also look for your future, there is not one path you know.
Let's be realistic here, it might take years before any advance is made. You cant bank EVERYTHING on the hope it will pass

I know a few others that took different routes but are in the same position as me, being able to work and with a family.
However I also have a few friends still waiting on the dream act to pass, in a very hard financial situation, to put it nicely

I will see if I post later the choices I made and a few people I know too that beat the system, but it will be a big post, will do it when I find time. (No, nothing illegal or forging documents)

Of course it will not pass unless we make it pass

You may be wondering how are we going to make it pass, we will make it pass by becoming a little more organized and and letting our presence be shown. Frankly I am sick and tired of this shit. We are being suppressed, and we allowing this to continue to happen. Due to the fact that many of us fear the reprucutions that will arise once we let our presence be shown. Atlhough we need to do it in an organized and constructive manner. The posting of threads and messaging each other thru the internet is simply just not enough, because for the most part the only ones that view our stories are those who are in the same situation we are in. How many of us have told our stories to other people and their reaction have been a feeling how unfair our situation is, and for us it is just a part of life. There are approxiamte 65,000 students in the same situation we are in each year. And we need to do something about it. My only dream in life is to impact society in a postive way. Instead of continuing this posting of treads on how unfair things, we need to take a stand. I have some great ideas although I can't accomlish them without some of your help. We can make this happen we just need to work on it. If there is any one that feels the same way I do or has any ideas please let me know