Is this true- a green card holder is liable to join military services

Sam Singh

Registered Users (C)
I spotted this on a newspaper site:

Question: Is a green card holder liable to join military services?

Answer:
All male citizens born after 1959 and greencard holders must register with the selective services of the US and failure to do so may lead to criminal punishment and also denial of future immigrant or naturalization benefits.

Non-immigrants who are in US for a temporary period are not obliged to give military services, but green card holders, refugees, parolees and people who are residing in US illegally for a long period can be asked to provide military services.

If a citizen or a green card holder leaves US to avoid military services or deserts from the military, they will be permanently ineligible for US citizenship and may also be then be denied entry into US.

Green card holders are entitled to obtain an exemption from the military services by stating that they are not citizens, but if they do so they will render themselves permanently ineligible for citizenship.

There is a special agreement between the INS and the US department of defence whereby immigrants who are on active duty are not deportable. In many of these cases, the immigrants are given an opportunity to seek naturalization before the INS initiates deportation proceedings.

No Title

I tried but got a replay letter saying they could
not register me because I was above 26 and told
me what to do if I were deprived of any benefits.
Of course I don\'t have to do anything because
I was never require to register anyway.

I don\'t know if PR can be enlisted or enter
Federal Military Academies like West Point or not.

Green Card and Military Enlistment

I am very anxious to join military services but I don\'t have a green card. My cousins and uncles are U.S. citizens and my grandmother is a permanent resident. Would any of this help to get one? Or could I join while applying for one. I hope someone can give me any advice, thanks.

Zamir Luna