is this normal on the interview letter?

netzero

Registered Users (C)
Greetings Folks,

I got my Interview Letter a week ago..
my questions to the general forum

1. does that mean both finger print and FBI check are complete?
2. In the interview letter it says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview", does the "Initial Interview" means, there could be others? or this standard verbiage?
3. The online status hasn't changed (still "Current Status: Case received and pending."). Reading other posts indicate, online case status is a bit iffy.

my timelines
for N400/NSC/Denver:

Mailed: 21st March 2007
PD: 22nd March 2007
FP notice: 5th April 2007
FP appt: 17th April 2007
Interview letter rcvd: 04th May 2007
Interview date: 18th June 2007

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon,

1) In 2006 the USCIS adopted a policy of not issuing interview appointments until background/name checks etc. were complete. This is to minimise the chance of lawsuits. Thus you can assume your checks are complete but there are enough "outs" in the system for the FBI to require further investigation. In all "normal" cases, this is very unlikley.

2) Normal verbage. The USCIS always reserve the right for follow-up interviews. Again, in instances where there are no special problems or issues, this is very unlikely.

3) Forget this ..... it is irrelevent .... in fact I suspect that this whole business of the case disappearing being evidence of a pending interview may be no more than an urban myth !!!!

Good luck.

Edit: Read RWSH's post above. (S)he posted as I was typing :)

1) They're supposed to be complete. USCIS has an internal policy to not invite applicants for interviews until the background checks are complete. Ofcourse, you can't say with absolute certainty.

2) It's standard. If you don't hit any snags during the interview, you'll be fine. I think the reason it says "initial" is because sometime they schedule additional interviews if an applicant fails the civics or English test. For the vast majority, it doesn't apply.

3) You're right. It usually isin't a great indicator of anything.

Initial Interview Notice

Good afternoon,

1) In 2006 the USCIS adopted a policy of not issuing interview appointments until background/name checks etc. were complete. This is to minimise the chance of lawsuits. Thus you can assume your checks are complete but there are enough "outs" in the system for the FBI to require further investigation. In all "normal" cases, this is very unlikley.

2) Normal verbage. The USCIS always reserve the right for follow-up interviews. Again, in instances where there are no special problems or issues, this is very unlikely.

3) Forget this ..... it is irrelevent .... in fact I suspect that this whole business of the case disappearing being evidence of a pending interview may be no more than an urban myth !!!!

Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum, and I am trying to get some info re: INITIAL INTERVIEW.

This is my timeline.

Mailed my application in November, 2005, Vermont Service Center (I live in Washington, DC.)

FP Notification: Feb. 28, 2006.

FP/BIO Appointment: March 21, 2006.

Naturalization interview notification: April 12, 2006.

Naturalization Interview Date: June 12, 2006.

After the test, I was given a N-652 stating I had passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government. It also stated USCIS "will send you a written decision about your application," and that "a decision cannot yet be made about your application."

Reasons where, my A-file had not arrived from Vermont, and my name check was pending. I waited the official 120 days period after the test, and then went to inquire at the Washington, D.C. D.O., located in VA. I was told my A-file had arrived, but my name check was still pending.

I did some research on name check, and found some horror stories, in different immigration fora. Despite the urge to do something instead of sitting on the application, I decided to give it some more time before moving on with a mandamus lawsuit.

In mid-May, I received an "INITIAL INTERVIEW NOTICE," requesting my presence at the D.O. on June 27, 2007, and ask for an "EXAMINER" for a "NATURALIZATION INTERVIEW."

Last week, I got an INFOPASS, and went to the D.O. to inquire about it. I could not speak with an I.O. because the person at the entrance asked me about my business there, and told me she could answer my questions. My main question to her was, does this notification means my name check is done?

She said no, my name check is not done, but my A-file has arrived, and they need to verify my personal info with me. I was furious at not being able to speak to an I.O., but could I do? I had a bully in front of me, displaying the little power she had, and getting full of it.

Checking this forum, I read some posts stating that once one is called for this "INITIAL INTERVIEW," the name check is already done, for USCIS wants to minimize grounds for lawsuits.

I have the following questions:

1) Is this a mistake? Am I going to go through another naturalization test?

2) If not, what is this "INITIAL INTERVIEW" all about?

3) Does it mean my name check is done?

4) If not, what's next?

I'd really appreciate your help in answering my questions. Thank you very much in advance.

Jaragua.

The policy changed in May of 2006 (requiring that interviews not be done unless all the background checks are complete). You beat that by just a bit and so you had the interview before your background checks are complete.

If they tell you that they still cannot make a decision, ask them about the process to initiate a 1447(b) suit - since 120 days have gone by since your initial examination.