Is the interviewing officer who initiated the name check ?

PinceBinder

Like many others on this forum, I have been stuck in the famous FBI name check black hole. My wife did the interview at the same time, and she has become a US citezen right after that.

I have alway kept blaming myself I did some wrong during the interview, which must have upsetted the interviewing officer and caused him initiating a name check on me at that time. Is this true ? or actually the name check had been initialted before the local INS interview (by the VSC?), and the local officer was not able to approve only because the aleady initiated name check had not been completed (but then, why this did not happen to my wife ?)

Anybody has any insights on this issue, please kindly advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
There could be many reasons. Does your wife have your last name? Most probably your name is very common that you could have matched many criminals.

or Just they dropped the ball and your Name check results were never sent back.

You need to sue and get it over with.

An io cannot initiate a name check during the actual iv.
a name check is initiated simultaneously with your fp....infact nowadays the rumour is unless you pass the name check they do not invite you for the interview,though this is just a rumour...maybe true in terms of busy D.O's where they have oath right after the interview..
Was yours a employment based gc...

for past week i have been going through a lot of delayed cases(job based gc's),and i have come to the assumption that most of the delays caused for applicants of n400(job based ) is due to having dual A numbers and not name check's.
however this is just my stupid assumption.

P.S
the rule is that the information on your pr file should match your n400 application....now if you have 2 a files the io has to make sure both the info on the 2 diff a files have to match the info in your n400 application...

PinceBinder said:
Like many others on this forum, I have been stuck in the famous FBI name check black hole. My wife did the interview at the same time, and she has become a US citezen right after that.

I have alway kept blaming myself I did some wrong during the interview, which must have upsetted the interviewing officer and caused him initiating a name check on me at that time. Is this true ? or actually the name check had been initialted before the local INS interview (by the VSC?), and the local officer was not able to approve only because the aleady initiated name check had not been completed (but then, why this did not happen to my wife ?)

Anybody has any insights on this issue, please kindly advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the officer explained why he was not able to approve, he said some "security check" is still pending. He did not say the words "FBI name check", but I assumed security check is same as name check.

Yes, I applied on employment-based green card. But what you mean by 2 A numbers? When the gc was approved based on employment category, they gave you a Alien number. This is the same number I filled in the N400 form. So why that would generate two A numbers? Also, if this is the actual cause of delay, does it mean longer, or shorter, than the name check delay, on average ? Please kindly clarify.

if ur case has had 2 a numbers it should be resolved much faster than name check...name check is the worst thing u could get into...
also if he said background check,she probably meant name check...
anyway it shouldnt be a problem...just wait for 120 days and sue them...

PinceBinder said:
When the officer explained why he was not able to approve, he said some "security check" is still pending. He did not say the words "FBI name check", but I assumed security check is same as name check.

Yes, I applied on employment-based green card. But what you mean by 2 A numbers? When the gc was approved based on employment category, they gave you a Alien number. This is the same number I filled in the N400 form. So why that would generate two A numbers? Also, if this is the actual cause of delay, does it mean longer, or shorter, than the name check delay, on average ? Please kindly clarify.

My situation was similar to yours. The officer did not say the word "FBI name check". she just said the "background check is still pending". somehow, since it got resolved and I received the oath within 1.5 months, i would assume it is the USCIS background check rather than FBI name check.
however, i do not have any proof of my assumption.

On my paper IO wrote: "Background Check Pending"

...and it was the infamous FBI Name Check...which is initiated before the interview.

But the actual words the officer said was "security check pending", so it seems:
security check = background check = FBI name check.
Does anybody disagree ?

Also I disclosed a few traffic tickets on my N400 form, and checked "yes" to the question whether has been cited by any law officer. I think that automatically put me into the exceptional list, seperating from the people who has no "yes" answers, such as my wife. I think they pick people for security checking from the exceptional list, and that was why I got hit, and my wife did not. Therefore, in my opinon, if I started over I would not disclose the traffic tickets in the initial N400 form, but bring a modified sheet upon the interview time. This way, one did not lie to the govenment, and yet avoid being hit for the infamous name checking.

Not sure if it's the case with everybody, but my name check was initiated before my fingerpriting or the interview.

Suzy977 said:
On my paper IO wrote: "Background Check Pending"

...and it was the infamous FBI Name Check...which is initiated before the interview.

how long did you wait till you got the name check cleared?

PinceBinder said:
How did you figure out your initiating date of the name check ?

In my long battle to have this issue solved (the FBI Name Check pending) they, the FBI, said several times that the USCIS request from USCIS was received on xx.xx.2004 before the FP date and long before interview date.

Like query said, is a standard procedure, is always like that and it has nothing to do with your "yes" to the question about citations, arrests, etc.

it was a long wait.

i would think your was a truely name check. however, mine case could be the IBIC (??) background check. anyhow, i guess it does not bother you anymore since you are a USC.

ocworker said:
it was a long wait.

i would think your was a truely name check. however, mine case could be the IBIC (??) background check. anyhow, i guess it does not bother you anymore since you are a USC.

I know it was the name check from all the letters/answers I got from FBI, all stating the date when they got the request from USCIS for Name Check Clearance.

Suzy977 said:
I know it was the name check from all the letters/answers I got from FBI, all stating the date when they got the request from USCIS for Name Check Clearance.

I see.. i never got anything from FBI. I just took the interview result with it was written the "background check pending". i knew it would take 6-9 months to get a reply from FBI so I did not bother (or should I say I was too upset to do anything else) to send an inquiry to FBI.

Interview passed, approval pending name check

I, my wife and my 19 yr old are all stuck with name check pending. Our interviews were super. The officer was extremely courteous. It was a great experience till we were told of this issue. He told that he doesn't expect it to be delayed more than two months. Does anyone has recent experience of how long it averages. How long should we wait and what should be our next step. Please post your experience and advice. Thanks so much.