Is Selective Service Letter Must for N400 Application?

jetsam

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Is the Selective Service Status of Information Letter a must when applying the N400 application form? Or Can we get that later but before going to the interview? Does your application get rejected if this letter is not sent along with the N400 application?

Thank You.

Hi,
Is the Selective Service Status of Information Letter a must when applying the N400 application form? Or Can we get that later but before going to the interview? Does your application get rejected if this letter is not sent along with the N400 application?

Thank You.

You don't have to send it with your application. You can take it with you when you go for your interview.

Hi,

Thank You.

Under some circumstances yes, but others no. Assuming you are male and were not in the country either illegally or in an immigrant capacity (GC holder) until after your 26th birthday, there is no need for a status letter.

If are male and did register for selective service, all you need to enter on the N-400 is your registration number.

If you failed to register when you were supposed to, you almost certainly need the letter.

If you failed to register, and are currently under 31 years of age, you may well have problems during interview...

If you are female, or if you are old (for example, I didn't arrive in the US until my mid-30s) then you can forget about it completely.

Yep, in my case I moved here at the age of 27. I did not need to do anything about the Selective Service. I didn't even need to get a letter from them...

I got it in 1 week

Hi Guys,

I sent the SSS the information.(copies of H1B and passport etc) just last weekk. and I got the letter in a week that states that I did not have to register.

I did not need it but thought if it is free why not have it? better to have it than not.

although I dont think you have to get it. It is something nice to have in case they ask for it.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I sent the SSS the information.(copies of H1B and passport etc) just last weekk. and I got the letter in a week that states that I did not have to register.

I did not need it but thought if it is free why not have it? better to have it than not.

although I dont think you have to get it. It is something nice to have in case they ask for it.

Thanks

Yeah, SIL is helpful even later on when you apply for Federal Jobs, Fed. contracting positions, or even Fed. Aid in some cases. I used the N-400 excuse to get one for now and for the future.

koolvik Thanks for ur help in SIL

Koolvik,

Need to thank you for lettoing me know I had to send H1B copies.I got my SIL quickly.

1 q thats bugging me. I said yes to question 17 on n400. now I read somewhere that it should be answered NO for traffic citattion.
(I already got court transcripts for the 2 non DUI non arrest speeding tickets that I have).

Do you think this is a big deal?(that I answered YES).

Thanks

At the interview, the IO will go over that question with you (no matter how you answered). Explain what you meant and he/she will correct the answer to whatever he/she thinks makes sense.

It's not a big issue.

Koolvik,

Need to thank you for lettoing me know I had to send H1B copies.I got my SIL quickly.

1 q thats bugging me. I said yes to question 17 on n400. now I read somewhere that it should be answered NO for traffic citattion.
(I already got court transcripts for the 2 non DUI non arrest speeding tickets that I have).

Do you think this is a big deal?(that I answered YES).

Thanks

You are most welcome. Flydog has said it all. As the IO goes goes over the question, there is 90% chance that s/he will ask you if it was DUI or above $500 and as you say No, s/he will move on. There is 10% chance that a further review of your tickets will be warranted, but you are more than covered even for that. You are more than ready... :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks

waitingforins2,

Even though you were not required to register with SS, did you have to say why you failed to register when you requested your status information letter from SS? It's part of the form... so I was just wondering. Or did you just leave it blank?