Is one out of status when I-485 is filed and leaves before 180 days without another job offer

zambia

Registered Users (C)
Will one be out of status as soon as you are out of job - like in the case of H1? Thanks.

As far as my understanding goes Yes

But I have seen guys who have got approved if they got no RFE or interview. The new law permits you to change to a similar job after 180 days. So I guess if you are laid off before 180 days and have no job you become out of status and inelligible for green card

No, in status

The day you file for AOS/I-485 you can not be out of status till the decision of your petition, even if u loose the job and jobless for months.
People did get approved with and without RFE, with and without interview who laid off before 180 days.

I agree with g-man. Once I-485 is filed, one is never ...

out of status. I believe one needs to have a job at the time of GC approval or if an RFE is generated.

I wanted to quit my current job (before 180 days)- spend some time job searching and get back to similar job as LC within 2 to 3 months and wanted to know if this will cause any problem.

Really appreciate your comments.

Don\'t take a risk, although there should be no problem

Laws interpretation is always different by diff people at INS. Although there should not be any problem for changing job before 180 days, but u never know how INS officer interpret it and there r more chances of getting an RFE and interview.

g-man thanks - I read your approval posting and I believe..

you left before 180 days.

My problem is not layoff - but abuse by manager that\'s causing a lot of stress. Not being allowed by manager to move within the firm despite several offers. I have 3 months to go for 180 days and I\'ll try to hang-on.
Is there any other way out? And is it absolutely safe to immediately move after 180 days?

Thanks for your advise.