Is Naturalization a “RIGHT” or “PRIVILEGE”?

Is Naturalization a “RIGHT” or “PRIVILEGE”? Please vote.

• Right

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Privilege

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sfaizullah

Registered Users (C)
Dear friends,
Is Naturalization a “RIGHT” or “PRIVILEGE”? If it is the right of GC holders who otherwise qualify based on the law then one should fiercely fight it with all legal means available if it is being delayed. I had my interview this Dec 15, 05 in Newark, NJ and was told my name checking is pending. I am intending to use all avenues available for me and for all those who are subjected to this cruel and unusual punishment.

Best Regards

I think it is a right if you do qualify. Other immigration benefits are privileges. Naturalization is a right because the Immigration and Nationalty Act, Section 311. [8 U.S.C. 1422] states: "The right of a person to become a naturalized citizen of the United States shall not be denied or abridged because of race or sex or because such person is married."

What we see happening with the name check and the extreme delays in naturalization applications of people of Middle-Eastern, Indian or Russian descent bluntly violates this section.

This is a good question faizullah. I would love to read what other members say regarding this.

INA also states:
SEC. 336.(c) [8 U.S.C. 1447c]

The Attorney General shall have the right to appear before any immigration officer in any naturalization proceedings for the purpose of cross-examining the applicant and the witnesses produced in support of the application concerning any matter touching or in any way affecting the applicant's right to admission to citizenship, and shall have the right to call witnesses, including the applicant, produce evidence, and be heard in opposition to, or in favor of, the granting of any application in naturalization proceedings.

Publicus said:
I think it is a right if you do qualify. Other immigration benefits are privileges. Naturalization is a right because the Immigration and Nationalty Act, Section 311. [8 U.S.C. 1422] states: "The right of a person to become a naturalized citizen of the United States shall not be denied or abridged because of race or sex or because such person is married."

What we see happening with the name check and the extreme delays in naturalization applications of people of Middle-Eastern, Indian or Russian descent bluntly violates this section.

This is a good question faizullah. I would love to read what other members say regarding this.

This is just my personal opinion. I don't base it on anything but my own logic;
I think to be Naturalized, in other words to become an American Citizen is a PRIVILEGE. Individuals born from american parents, or on American soil, etc. have the right to be American Citizens. Us, the immigrants, if we qualify, we have the privilege of becoming American Citizens. Like, for example, the Driver License: Driving, for people who qualify, is granted as a privilege not a right. If you do certain things you may loose you privilege of driving, and on the other hand, as well, if you do certain crimes you may loose your privilege of being an American Citizen....the natural born citizens, it doesn't matter what crimes they may do, they can even go to the electric chair but nobody can strip them of their citizenship.
Also, as long as we go in front of another human being (immigration officer, immigration judge, district judge, etc.) not GOD, and ask him/her to grant us Citizenship, to me it looks like a privilege not a right.
A right is something you naturaly achieve and don't apply for it; Is true, a judge can reinstate a right of yours if someone wrongfuly took it away from you, but that's a different story.
All these being said, it doesn't necessary mean that we are rats, not human beings with same human rights like American Citizens (i.e. fair tretments, do process, etc.) and doesn't mean we shouldn't fight with all our power and resources (legal resources!) to get what we deserve, the privilege to be proud citizens of the greatest nation on earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
vulpasin said:
I think to be Naturalized, in other words to become an American Citizen is a PRIVILEGE. Individuals born from american parents, or on American soil, etc. have the right to be American Citizens. Us, the immigrants, if we qualify, we have the privilege of becoming American Citizens. Like, for example, the Driver License: Driving, for people who qualify, is granted as a privilege not a right. If you do certain things you may loose you privilege of driving, and on the other hand, as well, if you do certain crimes you may loose your privilege of being an American Citizen....the natural born citizens, it doesn't matter what crimes they may do, they can even go to the electric chair but nobody can strip them of their citizenship.
Also, as long as we go in front of another human being (immigration officer, immigration judge, district judge, etc.) not GOD, and ask him/her to grant us Citizenship, to me it looks like a privilege not a right.
A right is something you naturaly achieve and don't apply for it; Is true, a judge can reinstate a right of yours if someone wrongfuly took it away from you, but that's a different story.
All these being said, it doesn't necessary mean that we are rats, not human beings with same human rights like American Citizens (i.e. fair tretments, do process, etc.) and doesn't mean we shouldn't fight with all our power and resources (legal resources!) to get what we deserve, the privilege to be proud citizens of the greatest nation on earth.

Good point Vulpa. You made me think. Especially your point about loosing Citizenship. A Right CANNOT be lost. For the argument that a right is something naturally achieved, we can agree that many rights, such as women's right to vote, was not granted to them naturally, but they had to contest their right to suffrage, and to make that right clear, the 19th amendment was passed in 1919.

To the can natural born US citizens lose their citizenship, the answer is Constitutionally YES. Natural born US citizens – those people who are citizens by virtue of their birth in the US – can lose their citizenship but they cannot be denaturalized.

Now how can they lose theie right or privilege as US citizens?
The Fourteenth Amendment, passed shortly after the US Civil War, makes “All persons born … in the United States … citizens of the United States.” The impact of this language is clear – those born in the US, regardless of their parents’ immigration status, regardless of the circumstances that led to their birth in the US, are US citizens. Since that time, there have been laws dealing with the circumstances that could lead natural born citizens to lose their citizenship. There has been substantial development in these laws over the years, but as the situation currently stands, to lose citizenship, the person must voluntarily engage in an expatriating act with the specific intention of relinquishing US citizenship. Also, that act must result in the loss of citizenship under the law in effect at the time of the act.

Under the current scheme, there are seven acts that are considered expatriating and will result in the loss of citizenship. These are:

1. Being naturalized in a foreign country, upon the person’s own application made after reaching 18 years of age;

2. Making an oath or other declaration of allegiance to a foreign country or division thereof, again, after reaching 18 years of age;

3. Serving in the armed forces of a foreign country if those armed forces are engaged in hostilities against the US, or if the person serves as an officer;

4. Working for the government of a foreign country if the person also obtains nationality in that country, or if to work in such a position an oath or other declaration of allegiance is required;

5. Making a formal renunciation of US citizenship before a US consular officer or diplomat in a foreign country;

6. Making a formal written statement of renunciation during a state of war, if the Attorney General approves the renunciation as not contrary to US national defense; and

7. Committing an act of treason against the US, or attempting by force or the use of arms to overthrow the government of the US. Renunciation by this means can be accomplished only after a court has found the person guilty.

US naturalized citizens and natural born citizens together can lose the benefit of US citizenship. The only difference is that natural citizens can only lose their citizenship through their actions, however naturalized citizens can be denaturalized if it is proven that they have lied on their application or have concealed a material fact that would have barred them from citizenship.

But is US citizenship a right or a privilege? The Supreme Court has in many cases argued that US citizenship was a right. For instance, in Perkins v. Elg, which involved Marie Elizabeth Elg, who was born in the United States in 1907 to Swedish parents and raised in Sweden. When she turned 21 she acquired a U.S. passport and returned to live in the United States. Later, the U. S. government tried to deport her, claiming that under Swedish law she had become a Swedish citizen when she and her parents returned to Sweden. The U. S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously that Elg was in fact a U. S. citizen because her parents' action did not take away her right to reclaim U. S. citizenship when she reached her majority. While this is not technically a dual citizenship case (since Elg did not try to maintain her Swedish citizenship), it nonetheless was important for those who did not wish to lose their right to U. S. citizenship through no fault of their own.

Further, in the case of Afroyim v. Rusk, the Court held that the Constitution protected all American citizens from losing their citizenship without proof of intent to do so.

Beys Afroyim immigrated from Poland to the United States in 1912 and became a naturalized citizen some years later. He became fairly well known in art circles as a modernist painter in the 1930s and 1940s. In 1950 he emigrated to Israel, and ten years later he tried to renew his U. S. passport. The State Department refused, explaining that Afroyim had voted in an Israeli election in 1951 and had thus given up his citizenship in the United States.

Afroyim sued the State Department, and the case reached the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled in his favor in a 5-to-4 vote. Interestingly, the Court invoked the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Although intended to guarantee citizenship rights to freed slaves, the Court held that in effect it protected all American citizens from losing their citizenship without proof of intent to do so. True, Afroyim had voted in an Israeli election. But this was not a formal renunciation of his U. S. citizenship.

Thus, and out of these numerous court rulings, we see how the courts interpreted Citizenship to be a right, especially that a right cannot be taken away, unless through the actions of the right's owner, by which he relinquishes such right.

Publicus said:
To the can natural born US citizens lose their citizenship, the answer is Constitutionally YES. Natural born US citizens – those people who are citizens by virtue of their birth in the US – can lose their citizenship but they cannot be denaturalized.

it is so true, and it is sad. it is because the child of the illegal immigrants are US citizen, even thought their parents came to the country illegally. somehow, i think that is wrong. the child should have citizenship if both of the parents (or one of them) are legal PR or US citizens.

vulpasin said:

i agree with you completely. i do not agree being a citizen is the right for the immigrants if they are not qualify.

ocworker said:
it is so true, and it is sad. it is because the child of the illegal immigrants are US citizen, even thought their parents came to the country illegally. somehow, i think that is wrong. the child should have citizenship if both of the parents (or one of them) are legal PR or US citizens.
But , bear in mind that the child doesn't have to pay for his/her parents fault of coming to the US as illegals.

Furthermore, I believe that anybody who was born on US soil, belong to US soil. And the person always belong to the place where he was first born in, raised in, and grew up in. however, the seed has the deepest impact, the seed here is being born on that US soil.

Just my thought! :)

sONY

vulpasin said:
I wish i could disagree with you that citizenship is a privilige-because that would benefit me as an immigrant- but what you have said and the way you have presented it, not only makes sense, it's logically correct, and I believe legally true too.

I totally agree with you! :)

sOnY

If US Citizenship was a privilege, then the government would argue that they can grant and deny that privilege as they see fit. If US Citizenship was a privilege, the government can bestow it, and take it away easily. If US Citizenship was a privilege, the government can deny granting such privilege ad infinitum. If US Citizenship was a privilege, nobody could petition the courts to earn that privilege, noone could type such words in their petition as: "Plaintiff has a right to be a United States Citizen..." The courts would throw their case away because nobody is entitled to a privelge, but people are entitled to a right if they qualify.

The key issue here is the word: "QUALIFY". Most of you think that because citizenship requires certain qualifications, therefore it is not qualify to be a right, but instead a mere privilge. However a lot of rights do require qualifications according to the law. Voting for instance is a right, but it does require many qualifications, such as being of age 18, being a US citizen, not being a felon, not being mentally ill, etc...So do we deduct that because voting requires certain prerequisites that instead of being a right, it is a privilege? Of course not. Notice that this right can also be taken away. A person who commits and is convicted of committing a grave crime loses this right.

ocworker said:
i agree with you completely. i do not agree being a citizen is the right for the immigrants if they are not qualify.

So, are you saying that it is a "right" if s/he qualify?

Publicus said:
If US Citizenship was a privilege, then the government would argue that they can grant and deny that privilege as they see fit. If US Citizenship was a privilege, the government can bestow it, and take it away easily. If US Citizenship was a privilege, the government can deny granting such privilege ad infinitum. If US Citizenship was a privilege, nobody could petition the courts to earn that privilege, noone could type such words in their petition as: "Plaintiff has a right to be a United States Citizen..." The courts would throw their case away because nobody is entitled to a privelge, but people are entitled to a right if they qualify.

The key issue here is the word: "QUALIFY". Most of you think that because citizenship requires certain qualifications, therefore it is not qualify to be a right, but instead a mere privilge. However a lot of rights do require qualifications according to the law. Voting for instance is a right, but it does require many qualifications, such as being of age 18, being a US citizen, not being a felon, not being mentally ill, etc...So do we deduct that because voting requires certain prerequisites that instead of being a right, it is a privilege? Of course not. Notice that this right can also be taken away. A person who commits and is convicted of committing a grave crime loses this right.

I believe, it is "right" which does require certain qualifications. And I believe that this is why certain unreasonable delays have ways of ramifications (for example once you qualify, that is legal resident for 3/5 years, ...., then a determination should be made in certain time-period, 120 days, or else you can go to court)... I am not sure if there are ramifications provided for privileges. I also believe that it is this inherent property of being a right that the prejudiced can not massively through out most/all cases of certain races/religions, and this is why they take advantage of laws which were introduced in hurry and passed using fear-factor of the society. For otherwise, the laws that have been there that which is in spirit are in complete harmony with the constitution (that is all human are equal...) are not easy to use to delay cases for immigrants. Look carefully, you will not find any law passed by anyone else but the current administrations that are used as a shield the delays.

If it was a “privilege”, the whole thing would have been tossed/suspended for long now. And there are plenty examples of privileges that have faced it.

Best Regards

JoeF said:
Exactly my sentiment. Punishing children for the actions of their parents is just wrong.

What about the reverse of the medal? Poping-up 5-6 children, sometimes in less than 5-6 years (you live in So. Cal., I believe you've seen this often around you) and then taking advantage of the systems and ultimately taking advantage of us, the others who are legally here, who work legally, who pay taxes...to support those children on welfare with illegal parents.
Here INS has a rule, very tough (rarely is enforced) which says that the kids (the american citizens) can stay (foster parents, relatives who are legal, etc.) but the parents (the illegals) should go...which in real life almost never happens. Too bad. :confused:

vulpasin said:
What about the reverse of the medal? Poping-up 5-6 children, sometimes in less than 5-6 years (you live in So. Cal., I believe you've seen this often around you) and then taking advantage of the systems and ultimately taking advantage of us, the others who are legally here, who work legally, who pay taxes...to support those children on welfare with illegal parents.
Here INS has a rule, very tough (rarely is enforced) which says that the kids (the american citizens) can stay (foster parents, relatives who are legal, etc.) but the parents (the illegals) should go...which in real life almost never happens. Too bad. :confused:

I am not against any ethnicity when I say this, but we all know where the majority of illegal immigrants come from. And as Vupla said, like mushroom they multiply quickly. I've seen parents who are only 23 and already have three or four kids. :confused: I was a Catholic once, and Catholicism is known for its belligerence to birth control. Our friend Senator Santorum has six kids and Mel Gibson has seven. But the issue here is that a group of people have abused the advantage that location of their country gave them, and most immigrants now have to pay for that. The same way immigrants (including most of us) are paying for what the radical Al-Qaida terrorists, and those who support them have done.

The stupid immigration act of 1996 which makes a minor crime an aggravated felony is an example. Now last night the House has passed a law that although superficially looks like a good protection law, it is mostly aimed at making immigration a lot tougher for everyone. For instance, the Diversity Program is gone.

OK, let's get back to the topic.

Do you have to apply for a right? For example, do you (i.e. US citizen) apply for the right to free speech, right to vote, or any other right declared in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? No.

Do you (i.e. non-citizen) have to apply to become a US citizen? Yes, you do. And this application can be approved or denied.

Therefore, if you apply this test to the original question, it becomes self-evident, that naturalization is a benefit, and not a right.

Aibolit said:

Do you have to apply for a right? For example, do you (i.e. US citizen) apply for the right to free speech, right to vote, or any other right declared in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? No.

Do you (i.e. non-citizen) have to apply to become a US citizen? Yes, you do. And this application can be approved or denied.

Therefore, if you apply this test to the original question, it becomes self-evident, that naturalization is a benefit, and not a right.

All this is just a process Congress set up to make sure people qualify for the right of Citizenship. To be able to vote, don't you have to register to vote, and that requires proving your eligibility. Does that make voting a privilege.

Let me mention the law again, maybe some of you did not read it: the Immigration and Nationalty Act, Section 311. [8 U.S.C. 1422] states: "The right of a person to become a naturalized citizen of the United States shall not be denied or abridged because of race or sex or because such person is married."

If it was a privilege, the law would say: "The privilege of a person..." not The right of a person. I don't know why it is so complicated to understand this. It is a complex that many immigrants have. They always think that they are inferior in some way.

Publicus said:

First of all, having a "contradiction" with you is delightful, you're smart and obviuosly you've studied a lot. An in top of everythig you have the common sense and courtesy to respect others point of view (which it doesn't always happnes in life and in this forum too!!!) I commend you for this.

Voting, to use your own example, is a right
Under certain circumstances it can be taken away, you said, and I agree. I don't know about voting prefferences of Lee Harvey Oswald, Jeffrey Dahmer, Timothy McVein, especially in the last part of their lives, but my question for you is: Did they qualify to be American Citizens? Definitely NO. But to the last minute they were American Citizen.
The other thing, you said it, and then you're the one who overlook it: Born American Citizens can loose citizenship if they by their own action or their own will renounce at it!
I don't remember exactly if Lee H. Oswald renounced his American Citizenship, or if he lost it or not, but for sure he applied for USSR's citizenship, and cosidering the cold war goin on at that time between the two coutries he was a good candidate for the scenario presented by you: A born american looses citizenship under very special circumstances under control of his willing power!
Let say, Citizen "X" joins an enemy country's army against US. He didn't specifically renounced his Citizenship, but sometimes: Action speaks louder than word...
What you're missing here is the difference between "Hanving the RIGHT to" and "Being a RIGHT"
Going back to DMV exmple: You have the right to apply for DL, but having a Driving License is not a right, is a privilege.

Aibolit said:

Good point.

JoeF said:
Oh, come on. This is anti-immigrant BS.
You're a big fan of expresion BS. but sometimes it's not right place or time... As far as "anti-immigrant" you forgot the magic word: ILLEGAL!

First off, the children can only sponsor the parents once they are 21 or older.

Nobody said anything about sponsoring the parents...just abouf food-stamps, free medical and other benefits the LEGAL IMMIGRANTS WHO WORK HARD (HONEST JOBS NOT PAID UNDER THE TABLE!) don't receive!

Forth, illegals generally try to avoid contact with authorities, like the welfare system, due to fears that they would get deported.

Like I was saying before, "under the table"...

And fifth, this "popping out children" language is completely inappropriate. I take offense to that.

Is just a matter of speach, I didn't mean to offed anybody, but when it comes to ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS I don't have to much respect for them and I don't choose my words too carefully, anyway most of them even don't bother to learn english, so they won't understand what I say :D :D :D ...I feel like the marathon runner who's dying to cross the finish line, and smart guys (THE ILLEGALS) just take the shortcut...and to make it worse, peple like like you are taking their side

Of course it happens, quite often. It just doesn't make the news...

Definitely not often enoug, and judging by the place where you live you know that very well.

In conclusion, I don't want you to get offended by my posting; But I need to make it clear that if I wanted to discuss and take side with "poor helpless ILLEGALS" I'll join "ACLU", or the association of "border jumpers"(!?!) or whatever else they call themselves...
I don't mind waiting in line to become Naturalized for months, because INS is to busy solving other cases like SONY's, PUBLICUS's, yours (judging by the profile you've posted I'm assuming you, as well, are legally here) and other LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, but a single second wasted by INS to deal with ILLEGALS, it's a sin, especially when that second is paid with our tax money not ILLEGALS's money!