Is it wise or risky?

Daloon

Registered Users (C)
My attorney recently ask me to pay the legal fees in Hourly Basis instead of paying as case basis.

I had alreay paid $5000 for my Lab and I-140. Right now nobody knows the how long the I-485 will take to be completed. Is this mean that the legal fees will increase dramatically on the hour base?

I had asked some other attorneys and they offer me $1500 for the I-485 filing as amount of case legal fee. The question is this will be risky if I am going to change attorney since I am not yet to file I-485 now? And will the new attorney need any documents from my current attorney?

If you have the same experince I am appreciated your reply, thank you.

It is gonna be expensive if he starts charging you per hour. Remember it is not just filing your I-485, it will be also EAD/AP applications plus responding to the RFEs if any. You might have to do EAD/AP atleast 2-3 times (being optimistic here) before you get your 485 approved.

I think it is better if you look for another lawyer (who charges fixed amount)and transfer your whole green card file to the new lawyer. Tell your present lawyer that charges per hour will be expensive for you. If he is a sane one, it should not be a big deal transferring the file to the new lawyer.

I changed my lawyer after I filed 485 and everything went fine and I got my 485 approved too.

Risky! Would you want to take the chance that you might mess it up? Not to say lawyers do the best job in the world, but atleast that is one worry off your head.