Is it Safe to Travel with Advance Parole While Awaiting Green Card?

PublicMatter

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of adjusting my status and waiting for my green card. I have been in this process for 11 months now. I recently received my Advance Parole document and am considering traveling abroad. However, I’m a bit scared because I’ve heard mixed stories about traveling with Advance Parole.

Some people have shared that they traveled without any issues and were able to re-enter the U.S. smoothly. Others have had negative experiences where they were not allowed to re-enter and faced complications with their immigration process.

I understand that many might suggest speaking with an attorney. I do have an attorney, but I would like to hear from personal experiences of people in this forum. Based on your experiences, would you recommend using Advance Parole to travel abroad while waiting for the green card?

Additionally, I’ve noticed that many people these days seem to receive their green cards without needing Advance Parole. Does the fact that I received Advance Parole instead of the green card indicate anything about my adjustment of status process?

Thank you in advance for your insights!

That's the whole point of Advance Parole -- to allow you to travel abroad and return while your I-485 is pending without affecting your I-485. So since you got it, what's the problem? You should not be denied entry unless you left before your Advance Parole was granted, or your I-485 is somehow denied.

The fact that you got Advance Parole does not imply anything about your Adjustment of Status, other than that it did not get approved super fast.

Thanks for your input! It’s reassuring to know that Advance Parole should generally allow safe travel without affecting my I-485 application. However, I’m still interested in hearing more opinions and personal experiences from others who have traveled with Advance Parole. The variability in individual experiences can provide a broader understanding of what to expect. Anyone else willing to share their experience or advice?

I have never heard that someone has not been allowed back in with an advance parole, this is an official document that you can safely travel abroad and return with no problem, my wife has used it multiple times while waiting for her green card,

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of adjusting my status and waiting for my green card. I have been in this process for 11 months now. I recently received my Advance Parole document and am considering traveling abroad. However, I’m a bit scared because I’ve heard mixed stories about traveling with Advance Parole.

Some people have shared that they traveled without any issues and were able to re-enter the U.S. smoothly. Others have had negative experiences where they were not allowed to re-enter and faced complications with their immigration process.

I understand that many might suggest speaking with an attorney. I do have an attorney, but I would like to hear from personal experiences of people in this forum. Based on your experiences with EF Educational Tours reviews, would you recommend using Advance Parole to travel abroad while waiting for the green card?

Additionally, I’ve noticed that many people these days seem to receive their green cards without needing Advance Parole. Does the fact that I received Advance Parole instead of the green card indicate anything about my adjustment of status process?

Thank you in advance for your insights!
I’m in a similar situation, having waited 11 months for my green card and recently received Advance Parole. From my experience and what I’ve heard, traveling with Advance Parole can be risky but manageable if you take some precautions. Some people travel successfully and re-enter without issues, while others encounter problems.

It's crucial to ensure your Advance Parole is valid for the entire duration of your trip and to carry all necessary documentation. Also, be aware that while many people receive their green cards without using Advance Parole, the issuance of Advance Parole doesn't necessarily reflect negatively on your process; it’s often just a step in the waiting period.

Ultimately, while personal experiences vary, it’s wise to have your attorney review your specific situation before you make any travel plans.