Registered Users (C)
Consider this

1. Devaluation of Dollar around the world
ex: $1 = 45.60 Indian Rupee (it was 49.20). Analyst are
predicting that $ will go down further to Rs. 20-25 in
another 5 years.
2. The cost of Medical Health plans are increased. Atleast $600
is required to have a good health plan. Employees are asked
to share (25-50%) of the health plan cost.
3. Higher unemployment ratio
4. Hourly rates are going down.
5. US States finding it difficult to pass their annual budgets.
6. More and more outsourcing - Jobs are going out of this country
7. Doubts about the social security benefits after 15 years.
Government may not be in a position to support these benefits
due to over spending.

1. Won't happen.
2. If it gets that bad for everyone, the govt. will step in and fix it.
3. Passing phase
4. Hourly rates are going down. - True, but then hourly rate "consultants" was a scam/hoax anyway, the change over is bothersome but the final outcome would be good.
5. US States finding it difficult to pass their annual budgets. - So what .. print more bills, more privatization.
6. More and more outsourcing - Jobs are going out of this country - Has always happened, worker productivity will continue to rise here.
7. Doubts about the social security benefits after 15 years.
Government may not be in a position to support these benefits
due to over spending. - True, is it really so bad after saving for all those years? How much do you think your pension would be worth in India considering the crazy inflation over there?

Overall, yes US is worth it.

Maybe India needs to have its own GC process just in case everybody is flocking there to get jobs and 1 rupee = $45

The last, I checked, 1 USD was around Rs. 46.35. I have not heard about any expert suggesting that it would go down to Rs. 25-26.

Yes, we are hearing about higher unemployment. But historically speaking, this is not a high unemployment rate. In fact, not far back in time, economists would have called 6% as the natural unemployment rate.

The fact that US states are finding it difficult to pass their budgets - well, something similar happened in the early and mid 90's. In fact, the federal government, during Clinton's first term had to shut down for some time because the budget was not passed.

Outsourcing of jobs happened in manufacturing too. There was some hue and cry, and then acceptance settled in. Will it turn into a flood? I doubt; inspite of manufacturing being outsourced, the US is the biggest manufacturer in the world, in terms of value.

But this is not to undermine your concerns. Will the jobs that we are in, get outsourced to India? Quite possible. But then, this is the closest to a Darwinian society, if one is talking about economic evolution. You may have to move up the value chain, which would mean upgrading your skills, changing your career etc.

Which brings us to what we are all seeking- a Green Card. Without that, we are stuck in a rut, moving between ' same or similar' jobs. Is there hope? I would like to think so, because like any evolutionary process, inefficiency will not be tolerated for long.

Is it really worth working in India?

1. Population overgrowth.
2. Corruption at all levels.
3. Ill-literacy.
4. Low food standards.
5. Caste-based reservations.
6. Lack of infrastructure - extemely bad internet connections.
7. External debt increasing every day.
8. Political instability.
9. Expensive mode of communication - High gas prices
10. No un-employment benefits - Rs.500 is nothing.
11. New Scam everyday.
12. Poor law and regulations...
13. Medial malpractice.
14. High degree of Nepotism.
15. Never reducing un-employment rate.

Do you need to more points.....

Sau me si 99 beiman...phir bi ..mera Bharat mahan!!!!

Jai Hind!!!!

Wow Pagero your lists of reasons for staying here are just like in my country.I'm sure many will agree with your keen observation.

some good points

Hi,
the guy makes some good points.

But it is important to understand that US is the ONLY place in the world to participate in the true creation of intellectual property.

What the hell does that mean? The Intel's of the world need world class engineers - like many of us. The US system of rewarding & supporting the development of IP thru the venture capital markets initially and IPO/Public markets later is what makes america the best place to get rich if you participate in the process.

Clearly if you are on the fringe, doing work that is not serious IP generation, then companies WILL outsource those jobs to countries that CAN do that work. It is that simple. You will and are seeing this. Try and move up the IP creation pyramid. Go work for an Intel. (i dont work for intel).

If you are smart, intelligent, have studied well and worked hard, you will be rewarded financially - (maybe not by the INS).

Don't plan to stay in america if you cannot become rich enough to not worry about things like labor wage, social security & medicare. You are here because you are amonst the smartest in your country. You are here to try and make it to the top.

No one knows how the future will swing. Maybe there will be another depression like in 1929 - who knows?

The question really was "is it worth it".

I studied my ass off for 2 years to get into an IIT. The GC process requires some waiting - maybe even 3 years of wait after filing 485. Is that time worth waiting so that I wont have to worry about anything by the time I am 40. Yes. The wait is SO MUCH longer & unfair when immigrating thru family based immigration. My parents immigrated to the US a few years ago, it took 8 years to get the approval, that by that time I was OVER 21 and not allowed to join my family. America doesn't give a shit about immigrants. Even then I say it is worth it.

Because there is no other place on this planet that values what I have to provide and compensates me appropriately. Not India, Not china - nowhere. Who cares what the exchange rate is. Read some basic economics first. Or better - diversify your wealth and put it in something more stabler than the $.

That is my perspective & my opinion.

;) :rolleyes:

forgot to add

the most important reason you come to the US (even if you dont know it) is because of economic growth. Period. Long term economic growth.

If US had grown at 1% slower than it did for the past 100 years, the quality of life in the US would equal that of Mexico.

No other country is poised to sustainably grow like america, and it is very very very hard to catch up.

If my home country have half of the living standard.

Look at Taiwanese students. In 60s and 70s, they tend to stay. But in 80s the majority of them went back to Taiwan because the economy there was developing and was about half as rich. Now many of them are flocking to mainland China to find opportunities...

So if the difference between home country and the US is not that big, and the living standard can just get to half of US, I will choose to go back home. You don't feel like a second-class citizen at home, and your own language, your own beloved sports channels, you own lovely cousins...

Re: some good points

Originally posted by long_wait_4_gc
Hi,

Because there is no other place on this planet that values what I have to provide and compensates me appropriately. Not India, Not china - nowhere. Who cares what the exchange rate is. Read some basic economics first. Or better - diversify your wealth and put it in something more stabler than the $.

That is my perspective & my opinion.

;) :rolleyes:

Your point about compensation is understandable, but have
you compensted the indian governemnt/Indian people that spent lot of money to subsidize your IIT education. Consider how
much money on comparable education a stanford graduate pays
(probably around $100k) and how much you paid for your education.

-JC.

Originally posted by Silly Man
jc, stanford doesn't have reservation for castes .. does it?

Well how is affirmative action different from caste based
reservations. Anytime a society wants to help under privilaged
people through reservations, it is questionable and leaves room
for debate.

How is it relevant in this case. The person whose statements were quoted was already IIT educated, he was not denied admission to IIT because of his/her so called high caste.

Bottom line in this thread is: It is stupid to think one place better
than others. Both have their pros and cons. Personally I would
like to live for sometime in a year in India and then for some time
in US. US can very frustrating if all you have is dollars
and not "right" skin color/accent.
-JC

I am amazed at how everybody is blaming India (except for select few) for whatever its faults.

As an American President once said:
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

I am sure none of us has done anything for our country (me included).

Originally posted by codex
I am amazed at how everybody is blaming India (except for select few) for whatever its faults.

As an American President once said:
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

I am sure none of us has done anything for our country (me included).

It was JFK!!!!

Re: Re: some good points

Originally posted by justchecking
Your point about compensation is understandable, but have
you compensted the indian governemnt/Indian people that spent lot of money to subsidize your IIT education. Consider how
much money on comparable education a stanford graduate pays
(probably around $100k) and how much you paid for your education.

-JC.

My father paid taxes all his life in India. I think the govt was well compensated. In fact, he served in the Army and went to war twice.

Secondly, its a bad comparision - it is not 100K. What ever it is, my father paid for it by putting his life on the line for 30+ years, which includes 2 wars.

there you go.

What makes you feel like a second class citizen in USA? I am surprised many people feel like that. In our own countries we are subjected to bribes for simple neccessities like phone and electricity connection. Even though we are not citizens of US but we have equal rights in almost anything. If I am discriminated against, I have the right to drag that person/institution in court of law. Do you think you can do that in India? Personaly, my education was not subsidised a dime by my government yet I plan to go back there some day. I am sure most of you will go back to your countries or atleast have some investment in some way shape or form whether you support your families there or buy property etc.

under-privileged!!!

A poor upper-caste individual is also under-privileged. But he does not get reservation quota. Whereas the rich reserverd category caste gets the admission.

Someone talked about giving back to the country. I think he needs to check the change in FOREX reserves. Any country that has higher FOREX reserves, has boost in economy. Where did this $78Billion FOREX came from in past 5yrs.....anybody's guess!!

If you feel like giving back to the country...then go back home and help cleaning the dirty mess created by our billionair politicians having account in swiss bank.

Originally posted by justchecking
Bottom line in this thread is: It is stupid to think one place better
than others. Both have their pros and cons. Personally I would
like to live for sometime in a year in India and then for some time
in US. US can very frustrating if all you have is dollars
and not "right" skin color/accent.
-JC

well said. I would refine by saying the "bottom line" is going to be different for different people. I dont know about you guys but in california, silicon valley, my color has NO BEARING on any thing. My boss is probably as red/white/blue as they come and he loves me. So.... like i said it depends on your environment because that is what shapes YOUR prespective.

I was just stating MY perspective.

Peace guys - lets not flame each other over this :) all of us have our I-485 in the pipeline and you know what, CSC is coming pretty damn close to making my blood boil.

I did not wanted to debate on this but it hurts when some body says, his father compensated by serving in Army. I would say then he had also well compensated by Army, by paying him regular salary, and other benefits. By serving in Army does not mean that you have obliged your country enough. You can not cost mother's milk at $2.70/Gl or would you ?

Some of the things you can not buy even by master card.

lets not measure the intangible

Originally posted by vipsha
I did not wanted to debate on this but it hurts when some body says, his father compensated by serving in Army. I would say then he had also well compensated by Army, by paying him regular salary, and other benefits. By serving in Army does not mean that you have obliged your country enough. You can not cost mother's milk at $2.70/Gl or would you ?

Some of the things you can not buy even by master card.

are you kidding? are you comparing an IIT education with mother's milk? why does it hurt vipsha? because it is not fair right? In the same vein it is not fair to ask that I compensate for my subsidized education. btw - this IIT thing is a long debate that has raged time and again. my total education at IIT would have cost $5000 tops in those days. lets end it at that.

he who raises the question of compensation is being immature. i raised it when talking about financial compensation for working in the US. don't question how i intend to repay my obligations - you don't know me. lets stick to the issues OK?