Is it possible to apply for a 3yr H1B extension (based on I-140) when L1A is in progress with USCIS?

jeeyes

Registered Users (C)
Is it possible to apply for a 3yr H1B extension (based on approved I-140) if an L1A petition is in progress / pending with the USCIS? Can an employer file 2 petitions (but for different visa types) simultaneously for the same person?

My situation : I am approaching the end of my 6 years in H1B in early Nov 2010 - 11/03/2010 (GC status : PERM approved and I-140 (premium processing) filed earlier this month ie. Oct 2010). My employer has received an RFE for the I-140 and is in the process of responding to it. If the i-140 decision does not come by 10/28/2010 (ie. 3 business days before my H1B expiry), my employer has promised to initiate a L1A petition. My question is if the I-140 approval happens to come immediately after the LIA petition is filed, can they file another H1B extension for me (for 3 years based on the I-140) when the L1A is in progress? I have heard somewhere that an employer cannot file a second petition for the same person if one is already in progress. Is that true?

If he cannot file the 3 year H1B extension when the L1A is in progress, when / how can I process t? What are my options?

Also can he initiate the H1B extension at the end of the L1A term? ie. at the end of the 7th year?