Is it ok to change job?

coolshock

Hi everybody!
I've been a silent visitor to this website.

I'm on the process of i485, waiting for ever and ever.
My WAC# is WAC02056XXXXX.
RD: Oct 1, 2001
ND: Dec 4, 2001

My employer got financially very difficult,
and I got a job offer from my new employer who said
he will sponsor the greencard. There will be no job title changes, and I'll get more salary. So, I decided to change the job, and
talked to my lawyer. And he gave me a surprise.

My lawyer says if I change a job, I have to start
the greencard process from the beginning even if there is so-called 180 days rule. He says it's because I am changing the sponsor. He says my greencard is based on my old employer, and so if I change the sponsor, I have to give up all the time and money I spent.

Is it true? If I change a sponsor(my employer), should I begin
the greencard process from scratch? I though I can continue
the i485 process if more than 180 days got exceeded.

I've waited three years for the greencard process, and I can't believe I can't even change a sponsor.

I am confused about the law. Would somebody please give me
a correct answer?

Thank you. Good luck to you all.

You are right and your lawyer was wrong. There are many like you and me who changed jobs after 180 days.
You should be able to show INS that you are working in similar job and similar salary if they ask for the evidence through RFE.

the correct answer is to get another lawyer - this one is too timid or too dumb for you.

If you can stick around for another 6 months with ur old company, I recommend you should. But if you think ur company will fold by then or lay you off, you MUST make hay while the offer shines...

thats right chane your lawyer

kick him on his a** for telling you these. Is your company a DESI?
He might have told lawyer to do this.
You can change after 180 days with the same process.
Don't worry if you are in same or similar Job description.
:)