Is it OK if I do not work for the sponsored company after GC

DalRanger

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,
I have worked for company A for 2yrs before I got my green card and right before I got my green card I moved to company B and now I got my GC through CP (Consular Processing). Now can I continue working for Company B. I am working in similar field and with same title.

Would this have any impact when I apply for Citizenship.

Who was the GC sponsor? A or B? Did you work for either in the US?

AC21 portability only mentions changing jobs after 6 months of filing I-485, but doesn't say anything about consular processing (although there may be a separate memo that mentions CP).

- The GC sponsorer was Company A. I worked for them for 2yrs in US.
- Changed to Company B. Went for CP interview while working for Company B.
- Now also working for Company B.
- Never worked for Company A after GC is issued.

Thanks
-DR.

DalRanger,

When you apply for Citizenship later on, the USCIS will be looking to whether you had obtained your GC fraudulently or not.
  • If you moved to company B with same job title, job description, functional area as on your labor of the company A petition things will be in your favor.
  • The more documentation you have (why you left for B) the better it will be during the Citizenship interview
Looking at the trend of various N-400 approvals for the Employment based GCs, I think you should not have a problem in getting the Citizenship approval. Please keep an eye on the Citizenship Forum as there have been many discussions going at present.

Good luck
KV7