Is it legal to work while EAD renewal is pending

MASS NJ

Registered Users (C)
Is it legal to work while EAD renewal is pending?. Is it good enough for working if we have EAD application recieved receipt?.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can work, but your employer will n't allow you to do so. Legally not a problem for an employee, but it is for an employer to allow an employee to work without physical EAD, based on the Reciet.

One of my friend had to stop working since his EAD was pending and his prev EAD expired.

Thanks for your reply...My employer don't mind if its a legal thing to do... So i need to know if its legal from employee point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
pbkreddy said:
I think you can work, but your employer will n't allow you to do so. Legally not a problem for an employee, but it is for an employer to allow an employee to work without physical EAD, based on the Reciet.

One of my friend had to stop working since his EAD was pending and his prev EAD expired.

It is not legal. If such work along with any other out of status duration or illegal work duration exceeds six months since your last entry you will be in trouble.

That is very serious and to validate this usually RFE is generated for W2 and tax return.

I am in a similar situation. EAD expires on June 15. Processing is goojng on for March at Vermont. And I will be applying sometime this week (mid-May). So EAD will probably not be available on June 15th.

But I could not stop working. Am in operations in shifts on week-end schedules, so that would really mess up things for my employer, finding coverage and all that. They would be immensely annoyed. So should I just ask them to take out of payroll until the EAD comes ?

Thanks.

Pending EAD

Yes, it is illegal to work on pending EAD. Illegal for both for employee and emplyer. But there is nothing wrong to work Voluntarily. So you can work without any paymet, if you can make an arrangement that your employer will pay a letr date that amount as an extra. Otherwise you can bring yourself some legal trouble at the time of adjustment of status.

MSG for Tammy2

tammy2 said:
It is not legal. If such work along with any other out of status duration or illegal work duration exceeds six months since your last entry you will be in trouble.

That is very serious and to validate this usually RFE is generated for W2 and tax return.

Do you mean if such illegal work does not exceed 6 months then there is nothing to worry about. I may get in the same situation. I may not have EAD or Intetim EAD at all for maybe 1 month.

So you think I can continue working at that time? I am sure its not goin gto exceed 6 months.

HI,

I applied my EAD/AP on March 29. My current EAD/AP expires on July 7th. I still have a lot of time though but I just want to know the procedure of getting Interim EAD. Could some one please post how to get an Interim EAD. If possible please PM me the procedure.

very easy to get interim.... just go with your EAD Receipts to your local office. They should give you one...i did the same for my EAD1.

GC12301975 said:
HI,

I applied my EAD/AP on March 29. My current EAD/AP expires on July 7th. I still have a lot of time though but I just want to know the procedure of getting Interim EAD. Could some one please post how to get an Interim EAD. If possible please PM me the procedure.

HI Mass NJ,

Thanks for the Info. I live in CT and I assume I should go to Hartford Office, CT. Do I need to make an appointment before I go to the office or Can I just go any day. Are there any particular timings that I should be at the office?

Thanks,

You should get your EAD approved pretty soon. I applied on April 6 and i got it approved last friday. Regarding taking the appointment, it is safe to take an appointment. If you dont get it, just walk in. I walked in at the office of pittsburgh to get my second EAD interim.