Is it conviction?

sidhiraman

Hello ,

I am currentally living in Minneapolis,MN on L2 visa.I pleaded guilty for Misdemeanor theft in 2009.I was not arrested.The court record shows

Plea:guilty

Disposition:convicted

Amended disposition :dismissed condition met

conditions-fine,commnity service,probation(not supervised)

I was under 1yr probation and with fine and community service the charges were dismissed.It is not showing in my background check.But I can see the above mentioned disposition in my court records.

Now I am applying for L2 visa extesion and in near future I am planning to apply for student visa.

In the visa form there are two question where I am stuck.

1.have you ever been arrested cited charged indicted fined or imprisoned foe breaking laws in US?

2.Have you ever been arrested or convicted of any criminal offence in US?

The ans of 1st Q is yes as I did received the citation but what about the 2nd Q.

Is it yes as I was first convicted or is it no as the charges were dismissed?

(I asked the same Q at court record dept ...they said that as the charges were dismissed you can write no )

Do I need to attach the copy of court record?

I am also doing community service so if I attach the certificate of that does it make a good impression?

If I mentioned it in form does my husband have problem for his visa?

Please advise.

Thank you,

Best regards,
Sidhi

convicted

you will need to answer yes to both since you were , you were arrested and then your conviction was dismissed, you will need all the certified court copies from the COURT were you were process,tried to get from the court the COMPLETION of the community service as well will be better to get a RAP sheet to see if the case appear dismissed, for work i would said no to the conviction part of it but for immigration i would said yes to both ? since you were convicted and then the charges were dismissed but you can call an attorney to be on the safe site or just wait for another person with more knowledge in this matter this forum is great