Is being a lab rat considered to be a job when it comes to immigration issues?

yg27

I was a student on an F-1 visa. In January 07 I participated in a medical research where I was a lab rat. It lasted for about 7 days, for 4 of those they had me take some pills and drew blood from me 16 times a day. I got paid $2,000. When I came in for an interview with that research company and they asked for my SSN, I flat out told them that I was an international student and asked them if it was ok for me to do that medical study. They said, "Why not? We've never had any problems with that before." In January 08 I left the country voluntarily due to a death in my family and didn't file taxes.
The thing is some people tell me that being a lab rat would probably be not considered a job when it comes to immigration issues. I personally think it's a job (in my case, an illegal job).
So my questions are
1. Is it considered an illegal job for me?
2. If it is illegal, how come the research company did not care? Wouldn't they get fined for having people work for them illegaly?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to kidnap your thread, but if anyone has more info on what USCIS considers a job and what doens't.... I know IRS and USCIS probably has different definitions...

I don't 100 percent know the answers to these questions. But if you received a W-2 or need to file a Schedule C (profit or loss from business), then this would probably be considered employed. If you received a 1099-MISC, then the answer is probably dependent upon what you did to receive the income. I did find one thing here: http://www.klaskolaw.com/articles.php?action=view&id=55