Interviewed to be or not to be

Sun07

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I have heard mixed stories about folks being called for an interview. My lawyer says it happens on very rare occasions.

I am talking about Employment Based (RIR/EB3) I-485. Does anyone have any opinion on this? What triggers a call for an interview? or is it just at the whims and fancy of the officer reviewing the file.. if he has been having a bad hair day or something...

Is it really rare or not quite so rare? Just wondering...

Thanks a lot!

Sun07

There are certain situations where you can expect interviews:
1. Criminal convictions

2. Marriage less than 2 years - If immigration officer suspects dependent might have married the primary applicant for GC purposes

3. Becoming out of status/illegal stay scenarios

4. Moving to another Service Centers. For example you applied your I485 in TSC area but move to California or Nebraska or vermont service center

5. Not providing sufficient documentation while applying I485

6. What ever you said in your posting.

Thanks!

However your Point # 3. Just looking at the application how can an officer suspects that the applicant could have been out of status?

Their is nothing contained in the application which might tell you either way.

They have your passport pages and all approvals of your non-immigrant stay. If you did not enclose them you are sure to get a call!

Originally posted by Sun07
Thanks!

However your Point # 3. Just looking at the application how can an officer suspects that the applicant could have been out of status?

Their is nothing contained in the application which might tell you either way.

If the inspecting officer is really shrewd, he might compare your H1 papers with experience letters, can compare copies of I94.
So it all depends on one Lady Luck deciding to avenge you!

hth
dyno