Interview/Swearing conflict with India trip.

Manny17

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My citizenship interview is scheduled for Nov26.
I have bought tickets to go on vacation to India
from Dec 21 thro Jan 11. My application is in
San Jose, CA.

Can someone please answer these questions for me?

1. From the interview time to my India trip, I
have very little time to be sworned in, get new
passport, Indian visa, etc. So, should I postpone
the interview? What are the pros and cons of
doing this?

2. If I do give interview on 26th, and if the
swearing in ceremony is not until after Jan 11th,
is it ok for me to travel outside of the country
in between?

--manny

Manny:

There is no restriction on travel between interview and swearing-in.

I would say if you are going to postpone anything, try the swearing-in. Go for the interview as scheduled. Wait for the swearing-in and get that postponed if you are scheduled while you are away. Perhaps you can mention to the interviewer to see if he can schedule you after January 11th.

Originally posted by Manny17
Hi,

My citizenship interview is scheduled for Nov26.
I have bought tickets to go on vacation to India
from Dec 21 thro Jan 11. My application is in
San Jose, CA.

Can someone please answer these questions for me?

1. From the interview time to my India trip, I
have very little time to be sworned in, get new
passport, Indian visa, etc. So, should I postpone
the interview? What are the pros and cons of
doing this?

2. If I do give interview on 26th, and if the
swearing in ceremony is not until after Jan 11th,
is it ok for me to travel outside of the country
in between?

--manny

Once you pass the interview there are no restrictions of being NOT in USA for any length of time. But the oath ceremony is not to be missed. I would go to the INS and tell them the India trip situation and explain to them. I'am sure Ins would schedule the oath ceremony after you come back from India.

My brother had a similar situation. In his case his swearing in-ceremony was scheduled for a week before he was to visit India on an Indian passport. He sent in an apology for the ceremony because there was not enough time to get a new passport and a Indian Visa. Technically as soon as you are naturalized you loose Indian citizenship.

That is precisely why I was thinking that postponing the swearing-in ceremony might be a better option.

Once you are sworn-in and get the Nat. Cert. you are a US citizen and should you travel, it would have to be on a US passport. But travelling between the interview and swearing-in should be ok, i would think.

(You might want to check with a lawyer).

Again my $0.02.

Originally posted by brb2
My brother had a similar situation. In his case his swearing in-ceremony was scheduled for a week before he was to visit India on an Indian passport. He sent in an apology for the ceremony because there was not enough time to get a new passport and a Indian Visa. Technically as soon as you are naturalized you loose Indian citizenship.