Interview soon in SF, need help!!!

Lunastar

Registered Users (C)
I got my interview notice today, with date for next month (really fast!).
I'm worried about the documents that we have to take, and if they're enough.

My husband and I have only been together for a year, we have our wedding pictures (in the city hall), some of a trip we took together, and a few in our apartment, but that's it.
We have our lease (with both our names), bills sent to my name, and some to his name (both with the same address), we share our health insurance, and car insurance.

Will this be enough for our interview? I'm afraid we don't have any joint assets or anything like that, or that many photos, and that would be a problem...

Also, do I need to take a medical examination document and affidavit of support if I have already submitted them?

I'm taking this interview in San Francisco.

Please anyone with any info or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am even worse

Lunastar said:
I got my interview notice today, with date for next month (really fast!).
I'm worried about the documents that we have to take, and if they're enough.

My husband and I have only been together for a year, we have our wedding pictures (in the city hall), some of a trip we took together, and a few in our apartment, but that's it.
We have our lease (with both our names), bills sent to my name, and some to his name (both with the same address), we share our health insurance, and car insurance.

Will this be enough for our interview? I'm afraid we don't have any joint assets or anything like that, or that many photos, and that would be a problem...

Also, do I need to take a medical examination document and affidavit of support if I have already submitted them?

I'm taking this interview in San Francisco.

Please anyone with any info or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi, I am also in SF, I think I am even worse. We did not have any wedding pictures, and we do not have joint insurance, we have a joint account of like $150. Some bills to him and to me with the same address, and the rental lease is with my name.

I have not yet received any letter about an interview, so if you have any updates, please let me know.

I think it the marriage is true, just tell the officer the truth, and I think they can just feel if you 2 are really a pair. :)

Lunastar,

Hello! I got my appointment letter on September 1st as well. Big surprise for me since, according to my local DO, they’re still, supposedly, working on cases from 2003 and I filed in January 2005, go figure… :confused:
Anyway, appointment letter is a very good news. Think positive – soon, it all will be over! No reasons to panic, you still have time to get more evidence and organize your immigration file for the interview. I feel overwhelmed as well, even though I knew and waited for this inevitable appointment for a long time.
Read carefully the letter. Make sure you have everything they ask you to bring to your appointment.
Now, about additional evidence. There is no exact guideline on what and how much to bring. Apartment lease and insurances are good proof. If you can and still have time you can add your husband’s name to the utilities bills (electric and water), or ask him to put you on his (depends on whose name it is now).
Pictures. From what I read on this board I learned that if and when INS asks to look at the pictures during the interview, they usually interested in actual wedding photos and trips that couple took together. And those the ones you already have.
If it makes you feel better – go ahead and take some more photos. There is still time.
Also, is there anything you bought together during this last year? Like maybe new TV, or furniture? Do you have any receipts, or delivery receipt? Did you get any card/mail, like for example Christmas cards form friend and relative addressed to both of you?
You can get creative and find many things that might give you additional proof of shared lives and financial responsibilities.
Furthermore, if you still feel like you don’t have enough proof, ask three people, who know you both, to write you reference letters for your interview. Letters should be notarized.
I wish you the best and please come back and post your interview experience. :)
Jane

Hey,

thank you very much for all your tips...

About the bills, I can't really add a name, we already tried, and they only let us have it under one name. We did change the name, so I have some bills at my name, at some at my husband's, with the same address. We haven't bought anything new, except maybe my car, which is really old and cheap, and don't have a receipt for it.
Another problem is, neither of us really keeps extensive contact with our families, we're both far away from them, and they don't write. And since ever since we've been together my husband's lived far from his friends, we don't have many people in common, we're both new to SF.

I don't know how picky the SF office is, I'm hoping they'll go easy on us. We are together and we're telling the truth, so I can't find many reasons for them to make trouble.

I'll keep you posted on any update, and if anyone's already had an interview in SF, it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks!

Lunastar said:
Hey,

thank you very much for all your tips...

About the bills, I can't really add a name, we already tried, and they only let us have it under one name. We did change the name, so I have some bills at my name, at some at my husband's, with the same address. We haven't bought anything new, except maybe my car, which is really old and cheap, and don't have a receipt for it.
Another problem is, neither of us really keeps extensive contact with our families, we're both far away from them, and they don't write. And since ever since we've been together my husband's lived far from his friends, we don't have many people in common, we're both new to SF.

I don't know how picky the SF office is, I'm hoping they'll go easy on us. We are together and we're telling the truth, so I can't find many reasons for them to make trouble.

I'll keep you posted on any update, and if anyone's already had an interview in SF, it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks!

Dont worry. Eveyone;s case is unique and the officer sitting at the other side of the table during your interview cant deny your GC just because you dont have bills under both names. Take whatever you have, just dont sweat over what you dont. I like Jane's idea of utilizing the time to the interview to take pictures ;)

This list of what needs to be shared is not officially defined, rather it is composed by word of mouth from people who attended the interview. The officer would know exactly what to look for to find out if your marriage is bonafide, if not utility bills, he/she would definitely be looking for something you might already have. Take it easy and good luck

"Don't sweat it," according to my brother who just went to his interview with his wife a couple months ago. Just bring all your paperwork, pics, and bill with both names.....I wouldn't worry about it.....

Hey!

Thank you all for your tips and support! :)

I do feel a lot calmer now, and try and stay with positive thoughts. My husband's not worried at all, he suggested the same things you did (taking more pics before the interview, etc.). It's just that there's a lot at stake.
All in all, I can't think of many reasons why they would deny an application. I have heard of some cases, though it's usually of people who didn't have one required document in particular...

I do know that officers tend to be different depending on the city you're in...
RAIDER-NATION, was your brother in SF? If the officer is anything like the rest of the people in SF, then I'll be alright :D

Also, I was planning on travelling in December... should I apply for a travel permit now, or wait for the interview?

Thanks all of you again!

Lunastar said:
Hey!

Also, I was planning on travelling in December... should I apply for a travel permit now, or wait for the interview?

Thanks all of you again!

If you pass your interview, and I think you will :) , then you won’t need any travel documents, your green card will be all your have to show at the POE back to US (plus your valid passport of course).
Good luck at the interview!

P.S. my interview was canceled. They send me a letter, they had to cancel it “due to unforeseen events”. :( :(

Jane
--------------------------------

ND: January 23, 2005
Still waiting….

Lunastar, congulaturations getting the interview.
I am also in SF, hopefully I get the letter soon as well.
I am pretty much in the same boat. rental lease and bank joint account and a few pics. don't even have insurance together...
give us an update how it goes.

RD 5/19/05
NOA 6/10/05

Sorry to hear that Jane Green! unforeseen events? what?! Does the hurricane Ophelia will affect over there? :D Hope you get a new letter soon!

Sorry to hear about your cancelation Jane, I hope you get good news soon.

Thanks again for the info, I guess if I don't pass the interview (God forbid), I won't be needing any travel documents either, cause I'll be kicked out of the country, right? :(

Anyway, I'll use the next days to print all the digital pics I can find (that's gonna be a chunk o' change), get another marriage certificate, and put all the papers together.

Do we need to fill out another affidavit and the W-2s even if we already sent all of that with the applications?

Thanks, all of you, and I'll keep you posted on what's new :)

cherr1980 said:
Sorry to hear that Jane Green! unforeseen events? what?! Does the hurricane Ophelia will affect over there? :D Hope you get a new letter soon!

Yes, me too.
They sent me the cancellation letter (ND) one day after the Katrina actually, which was nowhere near Tampa anyway… :rolleyes: so I don’t know what is going on. And it gets even weirder!
At the same time I got my cancellation, they sent an interview letter for my son, for the first week in November.
He is a minor and there is no way he can go to the interview by himself, without his parents. The letter looks just like mine – standard family based interview invitation and there is no mention of my name in his letter at all, even thought we are the same family, sponsored by the same person (my husband).
I did call the customer service about that. They were as puzzled as I am.
So I’m just going to “hijack” my son’s interview and ask if they take us both.
I mean – they already have my file in their local office, isn’t it easier (and faster) to have one interview for the same family instead of splitting it apart one person at the time?

Lunastar said:
Sorry to hear about your cancelation Jane, I hope you get good news soon.

>>> Me too.

Thanks again for the info, I guess if I don't pass the interview (God forbid), I won't be needing any travel documents either, cause I'll be kicked out of the country, right? :(

>>> Logically yes….but please toss those gloomy ideas way :D

Anyway, I'll use the next days to print all the digital pics I can find (that's gonna be a chunk o' change), get another marriage certificate, and put all the papers together.

Do we need to fill out another affidavit and the W-2s even if we already sent all of that with the applications?

>>>Yes, you have to bring your original W-2’s to your interview along with last three years tax return files. I know you sent it all, but now they want to see the originals.
About the Affidavit. The answer could be Yes and No.
No - if you just sent one recently and there was no changes in your family income or filing status, and Yes if you think it’s in your best interest or “just in case”.
For example: I filed I-485 with copies of my husband’s returns for 2001, 2002 and 2003. It was before we filed last year taxes return. Now we already filed taxes for 2004 as “married, file jointly” back in April and I want to submit this new return along with renewed affidavit during my interview, as another proof of bona fide marriage.

Thanks, all of you, and I'll keep you posted on what's new :)

initial interview -I 485

Hi all,
I received I-485 interview notice today to appear for interview (at San Antonio, TX) next month. I also will be going for biometrics next week.
What does this initial interview mean and whats the outcome. Will i get a green card if the outcome is postive. Mine is a AOS case based on marriage to a US citizen.
This interview letter came sooner than i expected. I thought that once i get my biometrics done I will be issued a EAD.
Your inputs are appreciated.
regards..rkg

good luck

Hi Lunastar,

I think you must be more confident by now. I have two friends who went through interviews and they were not even living together, not even in the same state. Like others have mentioned, I think they are looking for genuine-ness(is that a word :) ?). I am sure you will be fine. You already sound genuine. You should be your honest self and be confident about what you offer as proof. I am also in the SF DO. Could you post your timeline please??

Thanks,
~vc

rkg72

The interview letter came pretty fast for me too.
If the outcome of your interview is positive, then you will receive a conditional Green Card (for two years), if you've been married for less than two years, and one for 10 years, of you've been married for more than two years.

Jane Green

Any news on your interview?

Lunastar said:
rkg72

The interview letter came pretty fast for me too.
If the outcome of your interview is positive, then you will receive a conditional Green Card (for two years), if you've been married for less than two years, and one for 10 years, of you've been married for more than two years.

Jane Green

Any news on your interview?

Nothing yet, thanks for asking.
However, I am putting my papers in order and getting ready, just in case.

Hey, I just saw the other post, verdecolor. I don't know if I'm more confident, I've heard good things, but also bad things from people, like people getting denied for no particular reason, so I can't say I'm not nervous.
I guess I'll be nervous for another month, and then we'll see what happens.

I'll be sure to let you know, though.

Here's my timeline:

04/11/2005 Forms sent
04/13/2005 Forms received
04/18/2005 forms rejected (bad check name)
04/25/2005 forms sent back to me
04/27/2005 forms sent to USCIS (DAY 1)
04/29/2005 forms received again (DAY 3)
05/27/2005 checks cashed (DAY 31)
05/28/2005 Received NOAs for I-130, I-765, I-485 (DAY 32)
06/01/2005 FP and BIO Completed (DAY 36)
06/15/2005 Request for more information (DAY 50)
06/17/2005 Request delivered TO uscis (DAY 52)
07/28/2005 EAD Approved! (DAY 93)
08/09/2005 Approval Notice mailed
08/12/2005 EAD card received (At last!)
09/02/2005 Interview notice received
Interview on 10/20/2005 Crossing fingers!!

Lunastar said:
Hey, I just saw the other post, verdecolor. I don't know if I'm more confident, I've heard good things, but also bad things from people, like people getting denied for no particular reason, so I can't say I'm not nervous.
I guess I'll be nervous for another month, and then we'll see what happens.

I'll be sure to let you know, though.

Lunastar,
If you referring to this tread: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=188395
then I got to tell you, that they won’ t deny your application for no reason, neither they would for failing one or two questions. There should be more to this story then “sdgodfrey8” let us know.

I searched a lot this and other forums for interview experiences and I also talked to a lot of people, who went trough marriage-based GC process during past years. Here is my observations summary:

Most of the successful GC holders told their stories like this: “Interview went fast and easy. They asked us how we met, date of our marriage, if the address on I-485 still current and if we both live at the same address, and if I ever got arrested (plus all other questions from the last page of I-485).” Sometimes the officer don’t even look at the photographs, or ask “tricky questions” like “what is your wife’s middle name or date of births”, if there is enough evidence to approve the case.
They will just stamp the passport and move to another couple.

If your applications for permanent residence is well documented, with all the required papers in order (marriage certificate (original), your I-94 (proof of legal entry, or your current status), the USC spouse’s Birth certificate or passport (original), 3 yrs taxes, affidavit of support and affidavit from co-sponsor, if needed), plus – any other additional evidence you have to show your marriage in bona fide (usually it’s a utility bill, rent/lease agreement, car/health insurance, photos and letters from other people who knows you) then your interview will be no more then just a routing business like meeting: You show them your papers - they take your copies and staple into your case folder.

Before calling people on the interview they do background check and carefully examine the application and presented evidence. And they already pre-decided if it’s a most likely” yes” or most likely “no” for this applicant. They make their final decision during the interview.
But if the officer has any reason to suspect a fraud in the application then they will go trough with a detailed questioning and most likely couple will be separated into different rooms.
If the officer still indecisive, then the couple will be referred for a second interview.

Sometimes the application is incomplete and some required documents are missing, or unavailable at the time of filing. For example, you were married before and forgot to provide INS with a copy of your divorce papers, or you honey’s income too low and you don’t have a co-sponsor, or you didn’t file your medical with your I-485. You can still bring all that with you to your interview and be fine.
If you don’t, then they will still proceed with the interview, but your application won’t get approved just yet, instead you’ll get a paper saying what they need from you and how much time you got to submit that missing evidence.
They won’t call you for a second interview for that and most likely they will approve your case right after getting your letter with evidence. If you fail to do so by the due date then, surely, your I-485 will be denied.

The interviewing officers do, however, randomly select couples and ask both husband and wife to come into different rooms for questioning, or, which is more likely - they would just ask US citizen spouse come in first and then the “alien” spouse 10 min later. In such cases they ask the US citizen if it ever crossed his/her mind that his/her spouse might use him/her for a GC and other more or less intimidating questions.
What they look for is a demeanor of a person they talk to, the way he or she reacts and answers their questions, the way they conduct themselves around immigration authorities (excited, bored, or scared?), if they look strait in a eye or fidgeting and look around the room for the nearest exit.
They do it because they can! It is a part of their job – another way to filter out possible fraud.

So it if does happen to you and you get questioned separately – do not panic. There is nothing personal, just bad luck by being picked on that day and time.
Just be cool, be yourself and have more trust in your husband. If he is there 101% for you, then you too should be more confident in yourself and your case and know that nothing bad will ever happen to you and your family at that interview.
Treat it like a job interview for a new highly privilege position that you certainly qualified for, make sure you have all your papers in order and Good Luck!

JG