Interview: Signing Naturalization Certificate?

mario123

Registered Users (C)
Towards the end of my interview 2 weeks ago in San Antonio, the DAO asked me to sign 2 times at the bottom part of the N-400 and ALSO a certificate-like paper 5"x8" that looked like a currency note.

Since it happened so fast, I cannot remember if that paper said "certificate of naturalization" on it or not.... Not sure what exactly it was.

Does anyone recall doing this and what that paper was?

Towards the end of my interview 2 weeks ago in San Antonio, the DAO asked me to sign 2 times at the bottom part of the N-400 and ALSO a certificate-like paper 5"x8" that looked like a currency note.

Since it happened so fast, I cannot remember if that paper said "certificate of naturalization" on it or not.... Not sure what exactly it was.

Most probably, you signed xeroxed version of the certificate. USCIS wants to keep your signature on file.

Most probably, you signed xeroxed version of the certificate. USCIS wants to keep your signature on file.

I don't think so....

It was a colored piece of paper. As I said, it was about 5x8 and looked like a currency note.... I vaguely remember this. Also, San Antonio does not have same day oaths - all oaths are scheduled 2-3 months out. On my N-652, the DAO checked off 2 boxes:
1) You have passed the history, etc...
2) Congratulations! It appears that you have established eligibility for naturalization. If final approval......

Did you remember signing this 5x8 colored piece of paper?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't sound familar to me (Dallas DO). I signed my N-400 and wrote my name on my pictures. I didn't sign my Naturalization certificate (which is about 8.5x11) until after I got home from my oath.

Respnse to your question

I remember signing something like that after the interview.It had my first , middle and last names. He wanted me to verify that they were spelt right and wanted me to initial at the bottom as this (name) is what USCIS uses to create the naturalization certificate. Hope this is helpful.

gopalmn1965 - was that a currency colored 5x8 piece of paper? In my case, I had to write my full name in cursive...

Flydog - you had to sign it after oath?

Okay, I'm confused. Looks like in my case, the certificate was prepared during interview and in Flydog's case, it was already prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vaguely remember signing something similar last year. If I recall, it was a release for some sort of FBI check... the comment about name spelling sounds familiar, although I have to say it didn't make much sense at the time as all my FBI background checks had already been completed.

Maybe someone who had a more recent interview would care to comment.

My oath was 4-6 weeks after my interview. I didn't see any certificate until after my oath (they had us line up for about 45 minutes - the last chance for them to waste our time) waiting to get the cert. I grabbed it and headed to work. I signed it later, scanned it in and then applied for a passport

Anyone from Austin/San Antonio have any input on this? Any updates on oath dates? Wife and I are in limbo here wondering when our N-445's will come in.