Interview Question

ndc121

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I have a question about the interview. Do they review your file from the AOS or just go on whats in the computer and in the n-400 application?

although they had my file, they didnt ask anything about aos. Something i learned from this board, speak only when spoken to and dont volunteer any information unless its asked of you.

What they ask (and ask for) appears to be very inconsistent between district offices.

For both my wife and my interview, the questions all related to information on the N-400. They asked a small number of "civics" questions (all from the 96 questions in the Guide), and asked each of use to read and write a very simple sentence in English. That was about it.

They didn't ask us about tax transcripts, speeding ticket resolution, even anything about travel (but, we were both *very* far under the limits (slightly less than 100 days total over 5 years)).

It's best to ask this sort of question on the appropriate thread for your district office, you'll get answers better tuned to your specific case.

ndc121 said:
Hi. I have a question about the interview. Do they review your file from the AOS or just go on whats in the computer and in the n-400 application?

You should assume the IO has your entire immigration file sat there on the desk right in front of you. Most likely you won't be asked anything about it, but if the officer noticed anything strange or out of place, they could very well ask you to explain it.

As has been stated before, procedures and thoroughness seems to vary between locations.

ndc121 said:

They definitely review the entire file. What they ask varies from officer to officer. But as said by another poster, if the officer sees something critical that needs to be clarified or questioned, they will bring it up. But again, don't volunteer information unless you are specifically asked.