Interview Experience

vanlilly

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
Just wanted to post our interview experience.

My husband had his interview on Aug 24,2009 at 8am in Chicago. We reached at 7:45am. We had to take our 4 month old daughter as we couldn't get a baby sitter for early in the morning. We took the Metra from suburbs and the INS office was few blocks from the station. We checked in and we were called right about 8:20am or so. The lady who interviewed us was pretty nice and accomodating. Our daughter was little fussy before she settled down. As we entered the room she looked at my hubby and asked if she was ours and he said yes. Before we started, my hubby said he had the EB2 based interview on Aug 25th. We had taken the interview letter for that and other documents for that. She said to hold off on that until the end.
Then she asked for my naturalization original, financial mingling documents, tax returns, wedding album etc. We gave her those. She asked for check books where I have written the checks. fortunately we had couple of check books from the bank. In one back we did have the carbon copy, she asked if we had another one. Fortunately we had one that had carbon copy. She looked at the wedding album and was pretty amused at the wedding ceremony. She asked me my inlaws names. She also asked how my hubby entered the US first. When did he travel out of country. How many times? When did we both travel together out of country? She asked both of us to sign the original application to continue the process which we did. She said the application is approved.
We had taken originals of mortage statements, bank statements, birth certificates, tax returns, W2. She took those originals from us and stepped out for few minutes to take copies of those. She asked for the EB2 interview letter to check with her supervisor on the process. She came back and said that since the family based GC was approved, we can withdraw the employment based one. She asked my hubby to write a letter there and sign it. She actually dictated what needs to be written! He wrote and signed it.
She congratulated him and said we would get the GC in 4 weeks. I asked her if she would stamp the passport. She said she would not unless we plan on travelling. We were out by 8:40am. The whole process was pretty smooth. The travel to Chicago from our house took longer!
The status was updated the next day online that the card was ordered. Within a week we got the approved letter and withdrawl letter for the EB2 GC. We also got the GC in mail the following week.

Thanks to all the people who helped me with my questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its says on the "to bring list" for our initial interview, that we need my USC husbands W2, pay stubs etc.. If not already submitted. We submitted absolutely everything with our package. Do we need to bring it again?

Its says on the "to bring list" for our initial interview, that we need my USC husbands W2, pay stubs etc.. If not already submitted. We submitted absolutely everything with our package. Do we need to bring it again?

Applicants should ALWAYS take with them to the interview ALL THE DOCUMENTS previously sent with the applications regardless of what interview notice states. Most of the times officers don't even bother asking at the interview, but you can never rule of of anything because documents do get lost sometimes while files get tranferred. Always be proactive and over-prepared than not. If one doesn't have a particular document at the time of interview upon asked then application will not be denied but it will certainly delay the adjudication on the application. Because even if one will mail the required document to the officer on the same day, no one knows when officer will touch that file again. It could take many months as well as it's evident on many immigration sites. So, if one likes to get over with his/her case, then be fully prepared at the interview regardless of what interview letter states or so-and-so attorney said or someone has said. Leave no room for delaying or a denial.

Yep Take everything that you submitted. Basically take everything on the list provided on this website.