Interview Experience - San Francisco (SFO) District Office

fools

Registered Users (C)
Interview scheduled for both me and my wife on the same day (today).

Parked at the garage on Washington st. (entrance through Clay St.). Very convenient garage with valet parking.

Arrived at Sansome st. entrance about 30 min. before my wife's appointment. Mine was later, but they had no questions about letting me and our child in. Very ill-tempered security guards, but only doing their jobs.

The refused to allow a metal fork to be taken in, and confiscated it (threw it away into a bin).

Remember no cell phones with cameras allowed in the USCIS facility. We had left our cell phones in the car.

Entrance guard checked the interview letter and photo ID to let us in.

Lady at the reception took the interview letter and told us which area we should be in (A ~ F). The area equates to the office that you will be called into. My area was D and my wifes was in F.

I asked if it was possible for my wife and me to be interviewed together or by the same officer, so that our child could be with us, and since the interview times were so close together. Negative.

My wife was called in at precisely her appointed time. She was out in 10-15 minutes. The majority of the interviewers questions related to her travel out of the US and questions around ensuring that she will pledge allegiance to the US constitution. She was asked to read one simple sentence and write one simple sentence. Asked her 10 Civics questions - none of them were the difficult ones. She passed the interview and was asked to wait outside for the Oath ceremony notice/letter.

I was called about 3-4 minutes after my scheduled appointment time. Very polite officer, went over my application to verify each item and ensure that all the information was correct. Asked me about the gap in my employment history. I responded that I was unemployed, which he noted in the application. 6 simple civics questions, simple sentence reading and writing, and I was done within 10 minutes. Was also asked to wait outside for the Oath notice/letter.

Only documents asked for were current and old passports, PR card and Drivers License. Nothing else.

Both of us were given passport application packets and advised that it will be best and easy to fill out the passport application and hand it in to the passport officials right after the oath, since they will be there for just this purpose.

Apparently passport apps are taking 6 to 10 weeks for regular processing.

We both got called to the reception to collect our oath notice/letter within 15 minutes or so of completing our interview.

Very positive experience. The San Francisco DO seems to be doing a marvelous job. Very efficient, very polite. Large, well maintained waiting room. Great job by the USCIS.

fools,

Few people post after the interview experience so thanks a lot for posting! This will be very useful information for people who are scheduled at this location in the future.

Asked me about the gap in my employment history. I responded that I was unemployed, which he noted in the application.

Were you unemployed at the time or on the day your I-485 was adjudicated? Did AC21 apply to you and did the IO ask you any questions related to that?

There are several people on this forum who were either unemployed on the day the 485 was approved or/and never sent AC21 papers and since this is a gray area, your experience will be very useful. Thanks again!

Congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:
fools,

Few people post after the interview experience so thanks a lot for posting! This will be very useful information for people who are scheduled at this location in the future.

Were you unemployed at the time or on the day your I-485 was adjudicated? Did AC21 apply to you and did the IO ask you any questions related to that?

There are several people on this forum who were either unemployed on the day the 485 was approved and never sent AC21 papers and since this is a gray area, your experience will be very useful. Thanks again!

Congratulations!

I get so much from the internet and such forums, and wish I could give back more. I encourage all readers to take a few minutes after your experience is complete to come back and post it for everyones benefit.

I was unemployed well after I got my permanent residency.

Fools,
I too was not working for 8 months in between. I was with my GC sponsored employer for many years before and AFTER the GC, so no issues there. But now I am working again at different employer after the 8 months break.

In the N-400, I only filled in the dates I was actually working.
I did not write the dates I was not working with "NOT WORKING" or any such notation.
Is this ok?

Fools,
I too was not working for 8 months in between. I was with my GC sponsored employer for many years before and AFTER the GC, so no issues there. But now I am working again at different employer after the 8 months break.

In the N-400, I only filled in the dates I was actually working.
I did not write the dates I was not working with "NOT WORKING" or any such notation.
Is this ok?

To my knowledge there should be no problems with this.