Interview Experience - Chicago

mich_001

Registered Users (C)
First of all I would like to thank all of you for all your help ffered through this wonderful forum. We had our interview today 17th January at Chicago DO. The interview was at 10:00 am. We (my husband and kid) reached the USCIS building at 9:30 am, passed through the security check area, took the elevator to the second floor. My husband gave the interview notice to the lady at the reception, she asked if we are accompanied by an attorney to which we said "No". Then took the letter and asked us to take a seat.
We waited as we saw the names being called by the immigration officers and kept our ears sharp to hear if it was my husband's name. After around 35 mins, my husband's name was called by a lady officer, very nice, greeted us and took us to her office. She made us swear in and then asked us to take a seat. She started off saying that "I have to tell you that the name check is still pending with FBI", our hearts just stopped for a moment. She said that she cannot do anything about it. She then asked if we were the birth parents of the kind to which we replied "Yes". She then opened our file and asked my husband some questions like his name, parent's name and some questions from the form. For every answer he gave, she check marked on the form. She then asked for some original documents - my naturalization certificate, Marriage certificate, Birth certificate for all three of us. Then she said she was satisified with all these documents and don't need to see any other proof
as the kid is the greatest proof of all. We smiled but did not have a heart to say "Hoorah" because of the pending name check. She then said she cannot approve the I-485 only because of the name check and will be kept pending until then. She said she wished she could do it and if the name check was not pending, she would approve it right then. She approved the I-130 and gave us a copy. Also said that there is no other interview required and as soon as the name check is done, the welcome letter will be posted. That was our experience. Not bad at all. Except now we have to wait for the name check clearance, just hoping that it happens faster as I have read in some other threads that some of the name checks have been taking years....

Thank you all again. Will keep you posted on what happens next.

I485/I130/I765 mailed 10/20/06
RD: 10/23/06
ND: 10/25/06
FP done.: 11/08/06
Interveiw notice in the mail 12/15/06
Interveiw date: 01/17/07 I-130 approved / Name check pending