Interview came too soon

Vegas98

Registered Users (C)
I've seen people post here before about this problem, but I've never really seen a definitive answer.

I sent my N-400 about 3 days after I became eligible. The check was cashed 2 days later! Then I received my fingerprint notice about a week after that. The 5 yrs continuous residency requirement for me is April 10. However, my interview is scheduled for April 5. Will they not let me take the oath that same day? It's in the NYC office, so I know they have oath ceremonies there every day.

I don't want to reschedule it.

I've seen people post here before about this problem, but I've never really seen a definitive answer.

I sent my N-400 about 3 days after I became eligible. The check was cashed 2 days later! Then I received my fingerprint notice about a week after that. The 5 yrs continuous residency requirement for me is April 10. However, my interview is scheduled for April 5. Will they not let me take the oath that same day? It's in the NYC office, so I know they have oath ceremonies there every day.

Can you post your timeline? Did your case disappear? Thank you

Permanent resident interview 4/9/02.

Received Green Card 5/03....after it got delivered to wrong address, forwarded, returned, applied for I-90, received 5/03.

Permanent resident on 4/10/02
N-400 sent to VSC 1/15/07
Check cashed 1/17/07
Fingerprint notice 1/22/07
Fingerprint appt 2/6/07
Interview date 4/5/07

It all went ridiculously fast, which surprised me and made me happy after the years-long battle with permanent residency. But I don't want to reschedule my interview appointment.

This board is such a help....I've lurked here for years.

I sent everything that was listed in the "what to send with application" thread and the letter I received made no mention of missing evidence. It was a great model to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vegas98,

Kindly tell us about your DO as well, a greencarder had asked earlier "Did you online status dissappear before you got your Interview Letter?"

Its a good problem to have, being interviewed earlier than expected, as against a long long time wait is better for sure. Good luck to you and hope you are able to get all ducks in the row before the interview date.

You're not allowed to naturalize (take the oath) unless it's been 5 years. So, you should be fine as long as the oath ceremony is not on the same day.

Vegas98,

Kindly tell us about your DO as well, a greencarder had asked earlier "Did you online status dissappear before you got your Interview Letter?"

Its a good problem to have, being interviewed earlier than expected, as against a long long time wait is better for sure. Good luck to you and hope you are able to get all ducks in the row before the interview date.

Well, it's odd because while I was having all that trouble with getting my physical green card, I was checking my online status all the time.
Since this all happened so quickly, I never even got a chance to register my new receipt number, so I don't know if the online status changed or not.
I received the letters all within about a week of each other.

So I suppose I can come back for the oath. Luckily I work in NYC and that is where the interview is.

Well, it's odd because while I was having all that trouble with getting my physical green card, I was checking my online status all the time.
Since this all happened so quickly, I never even got a chance to register my new receipt number, so I don't know if the online status changed or not.

So I suppose I can come back for the oath. Luckily I work in NYC and that is where the interview is.

Truly happy for you, all's well that ends well. Good luck for your upcoming interview, do submit your post with the interview experience. NY and NJ DO are working at a breakneck speed, we at Washington DC DO are getting used to the waiting game. :(

Well you can enter your receipt number into this direct link from USCIS
https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

You will get your interview and then they will mark on a piece of paper that your case can not be finalized at that time and will state PR date a week away. You will not get your oath at all that day, and instead you will now wait for the oath letter to tell you when your oath date is.

That's all, you just don't get the benefit of having the same day oath. Mine was a week early and same thing happend. Got my oath letter a few weeks later and my oath ceremony a few weeks after that.

The online status maybe updated and maybe it won't. So if you can't find your reciept number, don't worry. Mine had never been entered into the online system at all...

Thank you for all the responses!!

And I will definitely make sure and write about my interview experience the day after!

It is fine by me if the oath is a few weeks later.

Like I said before, this board was an incredible help in getting the application together. I sent the cover letter recommended and it actually helped me to keep everything organized at the same time. Incredibly easy to do once I used the link from this website of the documents to attach to the application. I truly think that it helped in not halting my application at any point.

So again, thanks for that! And I will post about my interview the day after!

i am having my interview @Garden City New York on April 19. is true that the oath is given the same day now?
thank you and congratulations to everyone who get the interview letter.

Thank you for all the responses!!
It is fine by me if the oath is a few weeks later.
QUOTE]

Well you'll get the oath letter hopefully in a few weeks. The actual ceremony will probably be a month or so after that if all goes well. All depends, some people have been waiting longer then 6 months just to get the oath letter. So you're looking at maybe 6 weeks or so if everything goes really smoothly, you're lucky and they're not too filled up already.

So all you can do after your interview is just be patient and wait. If after 6 months and you haven't gotten your oath letter in the mail by then, then you can call and get an Infopass appointment to see what's holding it up...

Hi,

You are very lucky...!!!!
My N-400 Priority Date in VSC is November 13, 2006 but I still did not receive any Interview Letter yet.
I went to local INS and they said my case was stuck in Name Check.
I did not have any criminal or driving record at all but I don't understand why I stuck in background check for such so long. Is any one who has this experience? Thanks,
LN

Vegas98,

My husband and me interviewed today at Atlanta. We also applied about 3 days after eligibility and was scheduled for our interview 15 days before the 5 yr GC anniversary.

We were not asked anything relating to this aspect at the interview and they issued a oath letter for same day oath ceremony. We took our oath today and became citizens. I do not know if this is helpful, but you never know. When I went to my interview today, I was mentally prepared for an oath letter about two weeks/ two months later, but it was a pleasant surprise to get done with the process today itself. So be positive, you may also get to take oath on the same day.

--------------------------------
TSC, Atlanta DO
PD: 01-04-2007
FP: 02-01-2007
ID: 03-13-2007
Oath: 03-13-2007

Hi,

My N-400 Priority Date in VSC is November 13, 2006 but I still did not receive any Interview Letter yet.
I did not have any criminal or driving record at all but I don't understand why I stuck in background check for such so long. Is any one who has this experience? Thanks,
LN

Are you from the Middle East or a Muslim? Many people sued recently because they felt that the delay in processing was related to their origins.

i am having my interview @Garden City New York on April 19. is true that the oath is given the same day now?
thank you and congratulations to everyone who get the interview letter.

My interview is at Federal Plaza. They have oaths every day.

Hi,
LN

Are you from the Middle East or a Muslim? Many people sued recently because they felt that the delay in processing was related to their origins.

I have a feeling that greencarder has a point. I am of Hispanic origin and not from Mexico. Somehow, I have a feeling this had some bearing on how quickly my name check was done/processing time. That's why I think I lucked out in the amount of processing time.

Vegas98,

My husband and me interviewed today at Atlanta. We also applied about 3 days after eligibility and was scheduled for our interview 15 days before the 5 yr GC anniversary.

We were not asked anything relating to this aspect at the interview and they issued a oath letter for same day oath ceremony. We took our oath today and became citizens. I do not know if this is helpful, but you never know. When I went to my interview today, I was mentally prepared for an oath letter about two weeks/ two months later, but it was a pleasant surprise to get done with the process today itself. So be positive, you may also get to take oath on the same day.

--------------------------------
TSC, Atlanta DO
PD: 01-04-2007
FP: 02-01-2007
ID: 03-13-2007
Oath: 03-13-2007

Well, this would be great! Thanks for your response. I am mentally prepared to wait a few months. After years of waiting what is another few months, right? We all get so used to waiting for years that anything done in under 6 months is a miracle!!!

mailing N-400

Hello to everyone,

I am about to apply for my citizenship to the VSC. What kind of mail is better( Express, certified, normal ETC...) and also personal check or money order.
My husband sent his a week ago by certified and we have not got even the return service from the post office yet. I was just wondering.

Congratulation. If you clear you interview on April 5, you cannot take the oath the same day since your 5 yr is not until April 10. They will mail you the Oath date. You may have to wait 2-4 months depending on your center.

Hello to everyone,

I am about to apply for my citizenship to the VSC. What kind of mail is better( Express, certified, normal ETC...) and also personal check or money order.
My husband sent his a week ago by certified and we have not got even the return service from the post office yet. I was just wondering.

I sent it out regular mail, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED along with a PERSONAL check. I got the return receipt signed by the VSC about a week later. My bank has online availability (I believe MOST do) where I could see the canceled check about the same time. I mailed it out on a Saturday and the check was cashed by Wednesday.