interim EAD expires, what next ?

bmt74

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

My EAD renewal application is pending at NSC since Aug 2004 because of security review (my I-140 is also pending because of that) . In dec 2004, I applied for interim EAD at local CIS office. It is valid until 9/7/05 (tomorrow). Can I get another interim EAD ?

When I called the USCIS customer service, I was told that the interim EAD can be issued for 270 days at the maximum. So I have already maxed out. What are my other options ?.

I am using H1b to work at this point. My I-485 and H1B renewal (7th year extn) are also pending because of security review.

I appreciate your inputs. Thank you

bmt74 said:
I am using H1b to work at this point. My I-485 and H1B renewal (7th year extn) are also pending because of security review.

Yours is a classical case -----
Since U have applied for 485 -- U are in status... and I guess U cannot work after 180 days since U applied for H1b extension, if Ur h1b does not get approved by then...{Check this}.

U need to get H1b or EAD .... to work ... status wise U are safe...

I think they will treat Ur case in special way and issue U an iEAD... just try again.

Bill, thanks for responding.

I didn't quite understand what you wanted me to check. Did you mean I can not work using EAD after 180 days of I-485 filing ?. If that is the case, I am aware of that rule.

My I-485 is pending since Sep 2003
H1b renewal is pending since Dec 2004

I understand status wise, I am safe because I have "applied" for H1b extn. and also applied for I-485. I think travelling-overseas wise (even if my H1b petition is pending at the time of travelling), I will be safe too as long as I have a valid AP.

My understanding was, as I applied for H1b extn before the H1 expired, I am allowed to work. I haven't used EAD so far.

Please clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time in any forum i see EAD delayed due to security review.

What reply did you get to your status inquiry?

there are so many security checks pending, but none have been denied an EAD, since it is only for one year.

I have initiated 4 inquiries so far. All responses were "your case is pending" (as if I don't know that!). I came to know about the security review after having my congressman initiate an inquiry.

Anyway, I have made an appt for next week at the local CIS office to get another iEAD. I will keep the forum posted.