INS mistake cost me $400+!!!

Registered Users (C)
The online status of my I140 (ND 12/17/2002) showed in May that my I140 was approved on 5/5/04. My lawyer called the TSC twice and was told that My I140 was approved and the approval notice was mailed directly to me. However, neither my lawyer nor me received the notice.

I filed I824 to request duplicate copy of my I-140 approval notice on 6/24/04, cost $195, and filed FOIA to search my records in INS on 7/14/04, cost $200 of lawyer fee. adding the mailing cost, it cost me more than $400.

I just received the approval notice from TSC. The approval date was 9/22/04. It turns out that the INS made a mistake on online status, and the customer service of INS gave us wrong approval confirmation. Because of their mistake, it cost me more than $400, and my lawyer told me that it would be not possible to ask TSC for refund.
:mad:

On the second thought, my I140 was REALLY approved after 21 monthes!!! Finally. I wish I did not break the record of slowest I140 approval.

Wish everybody else luck!

I140 NIW TSC ND 12/17/02, AD 9/22/04, NO RFE
I485 ND 4/7/03, pending, FP 6/22/03
second I765 ND 5/19/04, AD 8/17/04

Terms of Use and Other Policies

This World Wide Web (WWW) site is provided as a public service. Every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information. However, with the volume of documents available, often uploaded with short deadlines, we cannot guarantee there will be no errors. We will do our best to correct errors brought to our attention. With respect to documents and information on this Website, neither the U.S. Government, the Department of Homeland Security, nor their employees and contractors make any warranty, express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, or warranties of non-infringement of third party rights, title, and freedom from computer virus.

(USCIS website)

168 said:
I filed I824 to request duplicate copy of my I-140 approval notice on 6/24/04, cost $195, and filed FOIA to search my records in INS on 7/14/04, cost $200 of lawyer fee. adding the mailing cost, it cost me more than $400.

You could have filled out the FOIA form yourself for free - there are plenty of posts here with details. That would have gotten the CIS to send you a copy of the 140 approval (if indeed it had happened). Cost $ 0.37 (postage) or maybe 3 bucks for certified mail :D