Inquiry from U.S. Department of State National Visa Center

jun_shicn

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Today I got a copy of a letter from my lawyer to the US Department of State National Visa Center which is in response to a letter from the VISA center for my Permanet Residency Application. The letter says I and my wife have applied for adjustment of status, and the copies of the Reciept Notices for out I-485 applications are attached.

The above center locates in Portsmouth, NH.

I feel the inquiry is wired. Why it asks for a recepit of my I-485 application. Any one has some idea?

My case number is WAC-02-046-XXXXX

Thanks.

-Jun:confused:

Weird in the extreme!
What are the contents of the letter from the center? Just asking for copies of your receipts? Any reasons stated?

Unless they are contending that they issued you an immigrant visa number (that is what happens when your I-140 gets approved) and their records show that no I-485 application has been made referencing that number. --- Just a guess. Post a copy of their letter, can you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what's the letter looks like and just got a cc'ed copy of the letter sent from the lawyer to the NVC. It writes as follows
"This is written in response to your letter on July 10, 2003 in connection with the above-referenced individual's Permental Residency application. Please be advised that Mr. Jun and spouse have applied for adjustment of status. Attached are copies of the Receipt Notices for their I-485 application. Please contact me should you require further information and/or documentation."

I feel really nervous that why NVC is involved into my case at this stage. BCIS received my response to RFE on Nov 6, 2002.

As the shxt laywer delayed the response almost 50 days, I don't know what will happen.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Try and get a copy of their letter. I am inclined to think that my first guess is correct.

I see you are WAC 02-046. Is your FP done? When? Any approved EAD / AP? Did you do AC21? If so, when?

Do you have any reason to suspect that your I-485 application may have been shredded? (Highly unlikely, given that you are 02-046, but I'm into wild guessing on this)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to contact lawyer and she took vacation again for another month.:mad:

I did my FP in Apr 2002. EAD has been extended one time. And the AP also has been extended once and 2-3 months ago I filed AP extention again and already got the receipt from BCIS for the application.

It might be a nightmare that my I-485 application has been shredded.

:(

niladri30,
Thanks for reply.

One more quesiton, why NVC gets involved at this stage? Even your first guess is right, it should be BCIS instead of NVC to inquiry my status, right?

I feel very nervous whether my I-485 has to be done again.

From what you infrom, your application certainly has not been shredded.

Either the center was mssing information on the visa number utilization, or you were simply honored by a random check, are my optimistic guesses.

It's late tonight. Lets see if anybody posts similar experiences this weekend...

NVC is in charge of issuing available immigrant visa numbers against a quota (remember priority dates not being current? thats coz of non-vailability of visa numbers). So, NVC involvement is nothing unusual.

At this point I can't think of anything beyond my first guess/random check.

My guess is that after I-140 was approved, it got transferred to NVC for further processing at a US consulate. In the meantime the applicant filed I-485. When 485 was filed BCIS requested the approved I-140 documents back from NVC. This letter must be in regards to this situation.

If that's the case, why BCIS did not call back I-140 doc from NVC during processing my RFE?

Do you know why the case has to be transfered to NVC during processing? Actually this is my first time to be aware of the existing of NVC. Are all of the cases to be processed by NVC, or just my luck?

Thanks.

-Jun