Initiating GC, company break-up

req_info_useful

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I finished 4 yrs on my H1B and my employer is ready to file for GC. But there's also a possibility of the company breaking-up in the next 12 months. If the break-up does happen, do I have to start the GC process again?
Considering that I need to file for LC atleast 365 days in advance before H1B expiration for year-to-year extensions, I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to redo GC process. Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I finished 4 yrs on my H1B and my employer is ready to file for GC. But there's also a possibility of the company breaking-up in the next 12 months. If the break-up does happen, do I have to start the GC process again?

Depends on how it "breaks". If it closes down, then YES. If it is bought by other company, then most probably you will be good.

big boy's right... if it is acquired fully by another company, you may be OK, but if the company goes under or out of business, you would need to start over.

At this point of time its not entirely clear how the break up is going to happen.

It will be one of the two scenarios:
1) I'm working for Company_A that will split into Company_A and Company_B. Now, I'll work for Company_B and my job profile, job location, team will not change.

2) I'm working for Company_A that will split into Company_A and Company_B. Now, I'll work for Company_A and my job profile, job location, team will not change.

Could someone explain how each scenario could impact my labour?

Thanks