InfoPass Appointment for I-765

tpdude

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have a pending I-765/renewal EAD petition at MSC. The RD is 11/28/05 and as with many others on this forum, haven't heard anything for FP appt, let alone decision on the petition since the receipt notice.

Just to be on the safe side, I tried to schedule an InfoPass appt at my local DO for February 27 [91st day since RD] for my iEAD. I noticed the infoPASS system only allowed me to select any working day from Feb 2 through Feb 14, 2006 - the rest of the days were grayed out.
a) Based on dates available as described above, I wonder if InfoPass appointments can be scheduled only certain days [e.g. upto 2 weeks] in advance?
b) Anybody able to successfully setup such an infoPASS appt (i.e. more than 3 weeks before the 90days are up)?
c) How many days in advance can I/should I try to setup the infoPASS apt?
d) Also, is it possible to get an iEAD even if Fingerprinting/Biometrics has not been completed?

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance,
-Topper

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi tpdude,
I understand your frustration. You could check on your I-765 status at your DO prior to your 91st day, but they might not have your case status available. MSC/NBC are not the best in kicking things back to us when the case is approved/denied. Your DO has a way to look into your case. Per my signature below, I went to my DO on Day 73 from my RD, and I was told my I-765 was approved on 01/07/06 (Day 60). So I would recommend you give infoPass a try, the worst thing that could happen is the officer telling you it's still pending. I got my Code 2 FP at the infoPass as well. The officer just asked me for a desired date and filled out the FP on the spot. I got my FP done on Day 77, and I received my EAD in the mail on 02/01/06 (Day 85).

Regarding your question, here are my response:
a) No one is certain about how infoPass works; it's like a lottery, except your winning chance is slightly higher than Powerball.
b) Yes, I set mine up on Day 63-ish for Day 73 after RD.
c) Give MSC/NBC at least 60 days, that seems like to be the general timeline. They are kind of slow, but not completely out of wack. I started trying at Day 60. Just keep trying, and grab the first available day you can.
d) You need FP for EAD or iEAD. When applying for iEAD, they will give you FP on the first available date. Since you haven't had your EAD FP, so you don't have to worry too much. Once you get that iEAD FP, your iEAD will be on its way. I am not sure if you need to do another FP for your EAD, but I would presume you will have to do it again consider they make you do FP whenever you apply for a new/renewal card. ASSUMING you had your EAD FP and you go into the infoPass, the officer looks it up on his/her system and it says the EAD has been "processed"/mailed, then you are SOL (s--t out of luck). They will NOT issue you an iEAD while your EAD is in the mail; that's the rule of the game, don't ask me why. Again, it doesn't seem like this applies to you since you haven't even had Code 2 FP.

I hope this help.

-jimmy

fingers crossed

Well said jimmyc. :) congratulations on getting your EAD.

I have read hundreds of postings on this website on Infopass, FP for I765, and came to the conclusion that... nobody knows how it works.... We can only take comfort in some generally acceptable ways to nudge the process along.

Got my Infopass for next monday 2/6/06, have my fingers crossed.

cwtt
H1B married to USC
DO location: Norfolk, VA
11/2/05: sent applications to Chicago lock box
11/7/05: RD (Day 00)
11/16/05: ND (Day 10)
1/11/06: LUD (Day 65)
2/6/06: Infopass appointment (Day 91)*

* never received FP notice in the mail

What?! You suppose to call them to make appointment for your FP. Without your calling in for your FP, you won't hear anything from them. Also you you can make infopass ASAP, the infopass will help with FP appointment. That's all it can do. Just call and schedule your FP.

tpdude said:
Hi,

I have a pending I-765/renewal EAD petition at MSC. The RD is 11/28/05 and as with many others on this forum, haven't heard anything for FP appt, let alone decision on the petition since the receipt notice.

Just to be on the safe side, I tried to schedule an InfoPass appt at my local DO for February 27 [91st day since RD] for my iEAD. I noticed the infoPASS system only allowed me to select any working day from Feb 2 through Feb 14, 2006 - the rest of the days were grayed out.
a) Based on dates available as described above, I wonder if InfoPass appointments can be scheduled only certain days [e.g. upto 2 weeks] in advance?
b) Anybody able to successfully setup such an infoPASS appt (i.e. more than 3 weeks before the 90days are up)?
c) How many days in advance can I/should I try to setup the infoPASS apt?
d) Also, is it possible to get an iEAD even if Fingerprinting/Biometrics has not been completed?

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance,
-Topper

Calling the 800-number cannot get you FP appt. Calling the 800-number cannot make you infoPass appt. The only way to make infoPass appt is through http://infopass.uscis.gov.

I called the 800-number too too too too too too too many times. What they do is ask you for the receipt number, and what they are going to do is to type it into the general case status search page that you see on www.uscis.gov. The 800-number people do NOT know more about your case than you. The only way to get more information about your case is to make infopass. Screw the phones. They have to deal with you when you are at the office with an appointment letter in your hand.

I just schedule another infopass for myself right after my Code 3 biometrics to see what the deal is after code 3.

interim EAD

Here's my experience of going to the Norfolk sub-office:
I got there 15 mins before my 8.30 appointment. They only allowed people with Infopass appointment for the day to enter the building. The security officer attached a queue number for my infopass, and instructed me to put it in a basket at the window. 8.35 the immigration officers sat down at the windows. I got called first, and after explaining the situation, submitted another copy of completed I765. They took my photo and finger print, and gave me an iEAD 35 mins later.

The officer was nice, and advised me to call the 800 number if i still don't get my official FP appointment after another 2, 3 months. Or to write into the address on my receipt notice (it's a Missouri address, National benefits center maybe?), which is where they are processing my application. She said they might be a little behind.

My iEAD is good for 8 months, which was the maximum that the sub-office could give me. I"m good for now.

Meanwhile, i overheard a couple who tried to fake their infopass appointment time (sounded like they wanted an earlier appointment) by white-out the correct time. The security officer detected it, and they almost had an argument right there in the lobby. They were politely asked to sit down and wait for their actual appointment (which was 9.30am) or they could go outside. Later I heard the security officer bitching about it to the immigration officers.

I don't understand why in the process where you desperately need to convince them of your integrity, you actually jeopardize it by faking something so trivia (relatively, that is). I'm also too embarrassed to tell anyone that the couple might share my origins, coz they were speaking my dialect to each other... :eek:

cwtt
H1B married to USC
2/6/06: Infopass appointment (Day 91)*, received iEAD (good for 8 mths)

* never received FP notice in the mail

Thanks for the response, everyone!

jimmyc & cwtt - thanks for the detailed replies to my original post and congrats to both of you getting your EAD/iEAD!!

Its good to learn that fingerprinting is required for iEAD as well. Interesting that they were able to do the fingerprinting for cwtt in the same office - with my local DO in MN, I believe they have a separate ASC center for fingerprinting stuff. So I wonder if they would make a FP appointment at the ASC or do it at the DO itself if/when I go for iEAD? In other words, does the DO have the ability/hardware to do the FP even if there's a separate ASC that they normally use?

Anyways, on day 67 after my RD, I went ahead and set up an appointment to speak with an immigration officer at the local DO on day 77 regarding my renewal EAD. Even though they won't be able to issue the iEAD in this infoPASS appointment, I hope they can atleast help with scheduling the FP appointment. jimmyc (or anyone else) - I wonder if they would schedule the FP appt ONLY if the system indicates that the case was already approved at MSC or would they be able to schedule the FP in either case?

Also, any advice on documents to carry for the appointment? cwtt indicated taking a copy of the EAD petition. Any additional documents I should carry since mine is a renewal EAD?

Thanks,
-Topper

To answer your questions...
Q: I wonder if they would schedule the FP appt ONLY if the system indicates that the case was already approved at MSC or would they be able to schedule the FP in either case?
A: Local DO only schedules FP if the case has been approved by NBC/MSC. I, nor my lawyer, have/has ever heard such a case that local DO issues FP when the case is pending.

Q: Any advice on documents to carry for the appointment? ... Any additional documents I should carry since mine is a renewal EAD?
A: I would bring everything I have. When I went into my infoPass, I brought everything with me, receipt notice, any USCIS coorspondants, marriage certificates, employment letter, job offer letter, bank statements, recent paystubs, my passport, my driver's license, and a copy of the packet of the paperwork that was sent to NBC. They only asked to see my NBC receipts, but it wouldn't hurt to be well-prepared.

My wife had an Infopass appointment for a matter unrelated to her EAD. I asked about doing her fingerprints early (EAD not approved yet according to officer). The officer said to ask fingerprinting so I did and they told me to come back the next day. We did and got the fingerprinting done with no problems about 2 weeks ahead of her appointment. Then, about a week later got her EAD approved.

So I would say try, you never know. The smaller the DO, the better chance you will have. Some even have open days (ours is Friday) where you can come in without an appointment and get your biometrics done.

REceived FP appointment

I finally received my FP appointment notices, a week after receiving my iEAD. For 765 the apointment was 12pm on 3/8, and for 485 the appointment was 9am on 3/9. I called the 1800 number to try to combine the 2 appointments on the same day, and was told, if changed, the appointment was be scheduled even later in the future. So the customer service officer suggested I go for my first appointment and see if the officer at the DO will allow me to get both FP's done. Hopefully....

Meanwhile, my online status still says pending... :eek:

H1B married to USC
2/6/06: Infopass appointment (Day 91), received iEAD (good for 8 mths)
2/14/06: FP notice for 765, 485, notice received on 2/17/06 (Day 102)
3/8/06: FPappointment for 765 (pending) (Day 124)
3/9/06: FP appointment for 485 (pending) (Day 125)

jimmyc said:
d) You need FP for EAD or iEAD. When applying for iEAD, they will give you FP on the first available date. Since you haven't had your EAD FP, so you don't have to worry too much. Once you get that iEAD FP, your iEAD will be on its way. I am not sure if you need to do another FP for your EAD, but I would presume you will have to do it again consider they make you do FP whenever you apply for a new/renewal card. ASSUMING you had your EAD FP and you go into the infoPass, the officer looks it up on his/her system and it says the EAD has been "processed"/mailed, then you are SOL (s--t out of luck). They will NOT issue you an iEAD while your EAD is in the mail; that's the rule of the game, don't ask me why. Again, it doesn't seem like this applies to you since you haven't even had Code 2 FP.

I hope this help.

-jimmy

Correction: when you go to your DO for your iEAD, your picture and FP are taken right then and there and after a wait of 30 mins to an hr, you can walk out of the DO with your iEAD in hand. There is no separate FP appt for the iEAD and you dont have to wait for it to come in the mail. The Fp and pic taken during the FP/Bio appt is used for your actual EAD and your GC and has nothing to do with your iEAD.

I am still kinda confused. Sorry if there's another answer out there in the forum.

Today is my day 22. I haven't received any FP/BIO letter yet. I am not sure when should I start taking action on making Infopass app or calling my DO. Should I wait till AFTER "day 60"? Or how long I should wait till? Or maybe I should just try to get them all done right away even the FP/BIO letter "might" come later? I noticed some people somehow hinted that getting FP done as early as possible, EAD can get approved earlier too.

* zlin mentioned, that we should just call our DO first for FP/BIO, or we won't get any letter from them. Is that true or not?

* By the way, Shouldn't FP taking place in ASC instead of DO? Then why still some took in DO instead of ASC?

I am so confused. Hope my questions make sense to you all. Thanks a lot in advance.

Day 20 is nothing. DO will just send you home and tell you to wait. MBC is overwhelmed (a too kind understatement personally, but i'm trying to be objective) with the sheer amount of applications. I did not receive my EAD FP, sent by MBC, until day 89.

I would recommend starting trying to look for, not book, Infopass appointments starting day 60. And just check infopass everyday until you schedule something. Once you go in at day 60, your DO would have a slightly better idea about your EAD app status.

I was freaking out because I thought I might have to risk losing my job because my FP notice never got to me until 3 days AFTER my OPT EAD ran out. If I did not go into DO before day 90, I would have had to either take leave of absense or lose my job on "my own choice" cuz i would have had been illegal.

I see you are on OPT; I totally understand your stress. I wish there is something I could tell you to make you feel better, but what I said was from my own experience. =\

Best of luck.

updated timeline

Hey guys,

As appreciation to all the advices I got on this matter, here's my updated timeline. I'm now preparing for my first AOS interview.

Good luck to you all!
cwtt

H1B married to USC
2/6/06: Infopass appointment (Day 91), received iEAD (good for 8 mths)
2/14/06: FP notice for 765, 485, notice received on 2/17/06 (Day 102)
3/8/06: FPappointment for 765 (Day 124)
3/9/06: FP appointment for 485 (Day 125) but when requested, they allowed me to do both on 3/8/06
3/14/06: Received EAD in the mail (Day 130)
4/3/05: Received request for initial AOS interview (Day 150)
5/18/06: Scheduled for initial AOS interview (Day 195)

I am going to make my appointment for iEAD now

jimmyc said:
Day 20 is nothing. DO will just send you home and tell you to wait. MBC is overwhelmed (a too kind understatement personally, but i'm trying to be objective) with the sheer amount of applications. I did not receive my EAD FP, sent by MBC, until day 89.

I would recommend starting trying to look for, not book, Infopass appointments starting day 60. And just check infopass everyday until you schedule something. Once you go in at day 60, your DO would have a slightly better idea about your EAD app status.

I was freaking out because I thought I might have to risk losing my job because my FP notice never got to me until 3 days AFTER my OPT EAD ran out. If I did not go into DO before day 90, I would have had to either take leave of absense or lose my job on "my own choice" cuz i would have had been illegal.

I see you are on OPT; I totally understand your stress. I wish there is something I could tell you to make you feel better, but what I said was from my own experience. =\

Best of luck.

cwtt: Congrats for your interview! It happens to be my birthday! :D With my bless, you will be fine!!! Be well prepared! Good luck!!!

jimmyc: Thanks for your understanding.

I kept reading on the forum after my day 20. Now it's my day 70. I am possibly going to get a very good job offer soon. I still haven't seen anything changed in my online case status. I will try to get an infopass app. on my day 90. Hopefully I will get an iEAD on my Day 90.

Though I am not so sure whether it's on the 90th day or 91th day, that I can ask for an iEAD.