Indians

juan_scooby

Registered Users (C)
I just read a report that 400 people from Indian origin got Green Card under asylum category. Is it true? How can someone from India get a green card under this category?

If you can prove your case, anyone get an asylum approved. Its just how you present your case and if its legit..

How would someone coming from India present his case to get asylum application approved? I thought it is more meant for places where there is problem for an individual to live. India is recognized as a secular democracy like UK.

Why would they give asylum in US to someone coming from UK or India? How should the case be presented?

Are there any side effects of applying in the asylum category?

Originally posted by juan_scooby
How would someone coming from India present his case to get asylum application approved? I thought it is more meant for places where there is problem for an individual to live. India is recognized as a secular democracy like UK.

Why would they give asylum in US to someone coming from UK or India? How should the case be presented?

Are there any side effects of applying in the asylum category?

It makes absolutely no sense to compare the UK to India.

Both UK and India are democratic countries. Can you give me some suggestions on how someone from India or UK could file for asylum?

yes i can give you some suggesstion. There is a form called Application for asylum and withholding of removal I589. You fill that form and apply. They will call you for interview and you will be granted asylum or place in removal procedding and deported.

try to find some good asylum lawyer and talk with him.:(

By the way where r you from INDIA or UK?

Right

Originally posted by usa2002
It makes absolutely no sense to compare the UK to India.

There are many pseudo-democracies on this planet. One needs only to glance at the international pages of the New York Times to appreciate the problems bedeviling India. It should come as no surprise that INDIA IS ONE THE WORLD'S TOP SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR ASYLUM APPLICANTS.

In contrast, the UK is a rich, stable and democratic place. It runs one of the world's largest asylum programs. People from every corner of the earth apply for protection in Britain.

Compare these two "secular democracies" is like comparing Bill Gates to a mom-and-pop computer store or saying that Harvard is the same as the community college down the street.

Re: Right

Originally posted by Gilbert
There are many pseudo-democracies on this planet. One needs only to glance at the international pages of the New York Times to appreciate the problems bedeviling India. It should come as no surprise that INDIA IS ONE THE WORLD'S TOP SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR ASYLUM APPLICANTS.

In contrast, the UK is a rich, stable and democratic place. It runs one of the world's largest asylum programs. People from every corner of the earth apply for protection in Britain.

Compare these two "secular democracies" is like comparing Bill Gates to a mom-and-pop computer store or saying that Harvard is the same as the community college down the street.
Gilbert, just because a country is rich and democratic, it does not mean that a citizen of this country cannot apply for asylum in another country. Think of the Irish asylees who are technically UK citizens. They applied for asylum in thousands (especially in the last 2 decades) to escape the persecution of Britons, who are occupying their land. Sometimes, we get so blinded by the brightness of the easy life in the West to the extent that we never see the ugly side of them too.

Originally posted by juan_scooby
Can a Hindu from India apply for refugee status in United States? If so, how?

You have to do some search by yourself or spend money with an attorney. Before talking to any lawyer (and start spending money)I would spend time doing some search by myself. Good starting point is the BCIS website, they clearly explain steps to follow. You must have a solid real case, so the first question you have to ask yourself is if you really have fear of persecution. Do not apply without that.
Go to the link below, they show how many individuals from India have been granted asylum in the last years (check Table 19). Do some search; but most important: do not apply if you do not have a solid real case. Good luck
http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/shared/aboutus/statistics/RA2002yrbk/RA2002list.htm

Last edited by a moderator: