Indian citizen (now on F-1) applying for Waiver for past J-1

treefroglunch

Hello,

I am an Indian citizen. I was on a J-1 visa from 2009 to 2012. I got a 2 yr HRR based on the Skills list. I am not a physician or in the medical field.

In 2012 I went back to India and got an F-1 visa. I am now starting the waiver procedure for my HRR and was wondering if there were any other people out there who have been in a similar situation, i.e. applying for a waiver for a past J-1 while now on another non-immigrant visa.

I would really appreciate it if I could talk to someone who has been in a similar situation.

Thanks in advance!

Have a wonderful day!

Similar case

Hello - I'm actually going through a very similar situation.

I'm on an F1 visa doing my OPT right now. This year, I found out that I was subject to the 2yr HRR from when I was on my J1 visa in 2007. I switched to the F1 only after my first year of college because I transferred schools. It was a huge surprise for me because I thought I was done with the J1 after switching to the F1 only after one year! Totally my fault for not being well-informed.

Anyway, I'm currently in the middle of my waiver application based on the no objection reason. The department of state has all my papers and I'm only waiting for the no objection letter from Peru (my home country).

Similar case. Can we travel outside the US (with the F1) while applying for the previous J1 waiver?

Hello,

I'm in a similar case. Now on a F-1, and applying for the HRR waiver from a previous J1. I have filled the DS3035 and statement of reason online, but I have to mail the documents. My home country will issue the No objection letter. Do you know if we can leave the US to visit our families while applying for the waiver?. I would love to travel in August but I'm not sure if I will have problems when returning (my F1 visa expires at the end of 2014).

I hope you can help,

Thanks!

MJV

Wife on F1 intends to go to H1-B, she had a previous J1 with 212(e) requirement

My wife was on J1 with 2 year home residency requirement (based on government funding); She went back home after completion of J1 and obtained F1 visa. She now wants to go to H1-B as she got a job and we are trying to figure out if there are any issues in switching from F1 to H1-B due to the previous J1 212(e) requirement.

Will highly appreciate responses.