Indian Citizen..Can file from USA..?

harrygulls

Registered Users (C)
I am indian citizen in US on H1B(system administrator) and married with no children based in houston,TX
want to file for Canadian immigration.
Do I have to go back to my country..?
What kind of lawyer/consulting firm should I choose..?
What is the regular fees for Consultant/Lawyer should I pay(other than the govt. fees)...?

Please refer some good lawyers/consul. firms for the same.

Thanks in advance

So you have children based in other US cities?;)

Seriously, you can easily apply for Canadian Immigration from US. You do not need to waste money on a lawyer, it is pretty much straightforward.
Just to let you know that job situation in Canada is much worse than US, many(if not most) Canadian employers are asking for *Canadian* experience! There are also reports that new immigrants who are well qualified and educated are forced to take up odd jobs like working in McDonalds, driving a taxi, etc. I am not sure how far this is true.

nkm

harry,
Based on new rules as of May 1st you can apply for Canadian immig from the US as long as you AT LEAST have 1 yr remaining on your H1.
So as long as your H1 doesnt expire within 1 yr of application date you can apply.

I am doing for the safe side till I get my US Green card.
Can you please guide me how to go about it or suggest some consultant/lawyer with reasonable fees.

Or if I can apply myself, please give me some guidelines about that.

Thanks for Information

FOR ohclav

Please check the following link on CIC web site, and the summary of what it says later

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/offices/apply-where.html

As of May 1, 2003, applicants for permanent residence must apply in their country of residence or country of nationality. Please refer to the list of countries below to find the Canadian Visa Office for your region.

Also Canadian consulate Buffalo's website is more specific and says

Who can apply in Buffalo
If you are a citizen of the United States or if you have been lawfully admitted to Canada, the United States or Bermuda for a period of one year and are currently residing there, you may apply in Buffalo.

The URL is

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/menu-en.asp?act=v&did=2110&mid=5&cat=1185&typ=1

Hope this helps.
Thanks

texancanadian thanks,

I understand this that if you have been legally admitted for at least one year you will be able to aply in Buffalo and there is no requrement for your status after that.

Thanks again.

Thanks again for all the information.
What is the regular fees for Consultant/Lawyer should I pay(other than the govt. fees)...?
Please refer some good lawyers/consul. firms for the same.

Can someone please tell me the fisrt step of filing the immigration
OR which form should I fill in..?

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I have downloaded all the forms.
But I have no idea waether should i apply for Federal/Proviences or Qubec.

Has anyone heard about the do it your self kit for Canada Immigration(for skilled workers). How are they..?

Please advice.

Hi ,
I have 10 months ( till July 2004) on my H1 left, my employer is willing to extend but can do so as per INS rules till only 2 months left on my visa.
My spouse's H1 however is valid till Jan 2005.
Will I be able to apply for canadian immigration ?
Has anybody's application refused because they have less than 1 year on their H1 ?

Thanks,
apms.

Originally posted by harrygulls
Thanks for the information. I have downloaded all the forms.
But I have no idea waether should i apply for Federal/Proviences or Qubec.

Has anyone heard about the do it your self kit for Canada Immigration(for skilled workers). How are they..?

Please advice.

Which one is faster

I am in London now, If I apply from London will it be faster or
if I go back to India and apply will it be faster ?

or does it matter at all......