India Tourist Visa Reject due to Same Sex Couple (For children's under 18)

detroitboy123

Came here in 1999 to do Masters. Got US GC and Citizenship base on employment.

Got married in 2020. Same sex couple.. Got kids via surrogacy in 2021.

We applied for Indian Tourist visa (10 years) for our twin boys and husband. All the 3 are rejected.

"This is in connection with the three visa applications we received at VFS. However, we are unable to proceed with your applications as the Consulate does not accept same-sex marriages. Therefore, if your husband states he is married and includes his spouse's name, we will not be able to forward the application for further processing to the Consulate. Similarly, both children are also not eligible to apply as their parents are of the same sex.
Please confirm if you would like to withdraw the applications.
You may consider applying for an e-Visa, although we are not certain if the same documentation requirements apply. Please note that we do not provide e-Visa services, so we are not aware of the specific requirements for e-Visa applications.

--> We will be reapplying my husband's tourist visa (on independent basis).

--> Really not sure how to move forward with our kids. (they are 2 years old, twin boys).... we will try e-visa..

This is so bizarre.. its not seeking OCI or even citizenship... we are going for tourist visa and they are rejected that due to same sex family?

Any inputs ?

Hi detroitboy123,

I am going through the same process for my kiddos, and running into issues with the visa application.

Have you been able to resolve this?

We reached out to friends who had been through this. They had put Mother as 'Not Known'. I contacted another same-sex family to find out how they managed the application.

I will also try calling the Indian embassy.

Putting Mother as Not Known will create lot more issue we were told as other questions will arise.

We retracted applications 10 year tourist applications. (Husband will apply independently when his 10 year tourist india visa will expire (he got one before we got married and he has travelled with me to india in 2017)

We were advised to retract kids applications (which we did) and We were told to apply evisa (5 years).. as its different channel and they dont ask for the birth certificate. They require very few documents.

We were approved for evisa within 24 hours for 5 years.

Ah - I was referring to the eVisa application.

In the sample form on the site, it does ask for the Father's details and Mother's details - see attached. How did you navigate that?

Glad it worked out for you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 12.19.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 12.19.18 PM.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 2