independent reference

jcsd

Registered Users (C)
Hi~

A professor agrees to write me a letter. He actually does not know me, so for me, he is independent. Unfortunately, his name showed up on one of my papers, because he has a remote connection of my former boss. How do I claim that he is independent?

thanks in advance

Jcsd.

Independent by defination means not involved in your work. He may or may not know you.

If he is from outside university/country then its good. As it is ...A person you know but not involved is your "colleauge".

If he is associated with your former project with former boss. You can skillfully ask him to comment on current project only and project him as independent in your case.

jcsd said:
Hi~

A professor agrees to write me a letter. He actually does not know me, so for me, he is independent. Unfortunately, his name showed up on one of my papers, because he has a remote connection of my former boss. How do I claim that he is independent?

thanks in advance

Jcsd.

IMO, if this professor appears on one of your papers, for what ever reasons, it will be very hard to prove for you that he is independent. USCIS will always have some doubts whatever explanation you will give as a reason he is on your paper. Better don't count him as a independent source of your reference letters and try to get some more from other independent scientists. (But of course still ask the professor to write the letter since good reference letters from scientists which are not absolutely independent are also helpful)