• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Increase of DV program visas from 55k to 80k under Biden

OnTheGo

Registered Users (C)
I have read in various news reports, always just casually mentioned as a one-liner, that the Biden Administration is planning to increase the number of visas available under the DV Program.

What do you think are the chances this will get through all hurdles and already be applied to the upcoming draw in May? :)

Spots in the diversity visa lottery, a program derided by President Trump that was established to foster immigration from underrepresented countries, would increase to 80,000 from the current annual cap of 55,000.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-immigration-plan-undocumented-immigrants-dreamers/

DV quota is an act of Congress. Congress would have to change the law to increase it.
Yes, of course. But how likely is this to happen, given the recent political developments and majority control of the Senate?

Yes, of course. But how likely is this to happen, given the recent political developments and majority control of the Senate?
there have been so many immigration bills going before so many combinations of senate/house with zero success for so long that I’m afraid I’m personally rather jaded about the prospects of success. Particularly, if the bill is combined with other aspects such as the article mentioned e.g. dropping the ban periods on those who overstay (something I think a lot of moderate democrats might take issue at), and the proposals to increase quotas in general. I don’t think adding 25k to DV is going to be a dealbreaker for most people, I think it’s the other parts of the proposed Bill that might see it flail.

there have been so many immigration bills going before so many combinations of senate/house with zero success for so long that I’m afraid I’m personally rather jaded about the prospects of success. Particularly, if the bill is combined with other aspects such as the article mentioned e.g. dropping the ban periods on those who overstay (something I think a lot of moderate democrats might take issue at), and the proposals to increase quotas in general. I don’t think adding 25k to DV is going to be a dealbreaker for most people, I think it’s the other parts of the proposed Bill that might see it flail.
Thanks for your perspective on this. Yes, it's all theory at this point. This increase would be the only concrete measure so far that I could find personally helpful with Biden's ambitions of overhauling the legal immigration.

Thanks for your perspective on this. Yes, it's all theory at this point. This increase would be the only concrete measure so far that I could find personally helpful with Biden's ambitions of overhauling the legal immigration.

The new bill has tons of important stuff, including the 80K for DV. The 80K is not as significant as the fact that they are not suggesting killing DV - that was my expectation from the next real immigration bill, and that could still happen at some point as this is not a complete overhaul. However, getting it through congress will not be a slam dunk.