Incorrect information from INS?

steve. d

Registered Users (C)
Unique case i need a immigration guru to help me with....This is my situation, i came to the USA from Australia for a holiday on the visa waiver program (not intending on getting married)...however in the 3 months i had been allowed here i did meet someone and we have been married.I have all my forms i need to fill out and have just made my medical exam appointment. Now my original visa expired on June 30. I called INS to let them know i have the forms and am organising the medical exam. I didnt want to get into any trouble because i wasnt sure how this worked. Well the lady at the INS told me it doesnt matter when i do my medical or hand my forms in, that i could do it anytime, and that my old visa doesnt matter any more now that im married. Is this correct? Im concerned ive been given the wrong information and i dont want to get into any troubles with the INS because my medical is a few weeks after my visa expired.

Raist where are you going to file? Some offices don't require the medical exam at the time of the initial application because the waiting time for AOS is so long that the results won't be valid at the time of interview.

I filed at the Omaha, NE district office and didn't have to do the medical at the time of filing because the waiting time is so long at that office.

When the time comes for fingerprinting and interview you'lll get a message that it's time to do the medical.

im filing at the Cincinnatti office by mail......i always thought you were supposed to file all neccessary forms together otherwise they send the forms back to you and charge you like $30 ?I checked that link out, most cases were about people travelling on k-1 visas but there was some very helpful stuff in there.
So how do i find out whether i need the medical exam completed with the AOS and neccessary forms or not?
Another quick question, i read some people talking about there AOS interviews...all i basically wanted to know is, do you get a SS number at the same time you receive EAD? im wondering because my wife cant add me to any types of bills or the lease or anything until i have it

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Raist01
im filing at the Cincinnatti office by mail......i always thought you were supposed to file all neccessary forms together otherwise they send the forms back to you and charge you like $30 ?I checked that link out, most cases were about people travelling on k-1 visas but there was some very helpful stuff in there.
So how do i find out whether i need the medical exam completed with the AOS and neccessary forms or not?
Another quick question, i read some people talking about there AOS interviews...all i basically wanted to know is, do you get a SS number at the same time you receive EAD? im wondering because my wife cant add me to any types of bills or the lease or anything until i have it

Sorry I don't know about the Cincinnatti office. The easiest thing would be if you could get through to them on the phone and ask, but it's usually easier to win the lottery than getting through to the INS.

It's the Social Security Administration which gives you the SS. You have to go there after you have gotten the EAD and apply for it in person.

If you know about newsgoups there is a group called alt.visa.us.marriage-based Eventually you can access it through Google.

ok i will give the Cincinnatti office a call, thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated..Ill let ya know how it all goes