Income tax filing question

Anton-10

Registered Users (C)
How does one file income taxes as a US resident with a non-immigrant spouse living abroad? I'm confused as to whether to file as single or married, because the married forms require US-based info on your spouse (which she obviously doesn't have).

Ideally I'd like to file under the status with the most savings, provided it doesn't raise eyebrows at my future naturalization interview. :D

If she happens to visit you here she can obtain ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) through SSA. With this number you can file as "married filing jointly" for the best tax deductions.

Only a US citizen wife can be claimed as dependent. You can't file jointly because unless she is a US citizen you are for tax filing purposes a "single". You can not claim exemptions for a non US citizen child either.
Go to last years tax cut or other software to make sure.

mplbob -- you must visit CPA for 2003 taxes...

Originally posted by mplbob
Only a US citizen wife can be claimed as dependent. You can't file jointly because unless she is a US citizen you are for tax filing purposes a "single". You can not claim exemptions for a non US citizen child either.
Go to last years tax cut or other software to make sure.

And Please donot give wrong answer I prefer to keep quite then giving wrong advice to someone......

Hope you will take me seriously

I don't know if you guys realized that his spouse is not living in the US. - "How does one file income taxes as a US resident with a non-immigrant spouse living abroad?" i.e., LIVING ABROAD. So I still stand by what I am saying. If the spouse or dependent is a non citizen AND living abroad as is the case here, then tax filing status for the US resident husband/dad is single.

I was replying to his direct question and so I assumed that my answer would be taken in that context and not taken as a "general statement". In short, even though married he has to file as "Single" and only if his spouse was a US citizen and living abroad he could file jointly. Since she is not a US citizen he can't claim any exemption even though he may be supporting her. Lastly he had never asked IF he had to file taxes, his query was "HOW ... single or married". Lastly even if she has a SS number and living abroad and is a non citizen he would still file his tax return as single.

Lastly if one is supporting a non US citizen child overseas there are ways in which a US resident filing taxes as "Single" can claim tax deduction; in particular if that person is directly paying educational expenses such as college fees.

The IRS has a publication on this subject (539, I think). Dependants living outside the United States cannot be claimed. Exceptions to this are citizens of Canada, Mexico, Japan, and South Korea. Dependants from these countries living outside the US can be claimed. This applies to spouses and children. If you are to file jointly in these cases, then you must include all world income from *both* spouses. Otherwise, file married/separate. If you wish, your spouse could file a 1040NR, putting down $0 as US-earned income.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF,

You really love pretending to be right, don't you???

You made your point in your previous posting, but you had to keep hammering the point and revert back to your asinine behavior.

Maybe you do need to get a life outside this newsgroup, and not make it your mission in life to ridicule other postings. Everyone knows (as you have yourself pointed out in numerous postings), that this newsgroup should not be considered as the definitive guide to all answers. So lay off the condescending criticism and chill!!!

And before you respond, let me just stoke your massive, misguided ego by disclaiming to all the world: "JoeF is right again!!! Any retort he makes against my posting is completely appropriate and deserved. I am wrong. He is right!!!"

Hope that sycophantic statement helps preserve your solipsistic mindset. And look those up in the Merriam-Webster if it throws you into a loop.

As for me, I'm done with your rantings and misguided righteousness. So type away at your heart's content.... Suffice it to know that i won't be reading any follow-ups proclaiming your greatness.

Originally posted by JoeF
Even that wasn't clear, since you didn't quote. Your answer was the 3rd one, and it could well have referred to any of the posts before it.
, I suppose. These countries are not "overseas", though. I use "abroad" for a reason: Merriam-Webster defines "abroad" as "beyond the boundaries of one's country."
With legal issues, it is important to use exact language.
keep on pretending

Non-resident spouse can be treated as resident for tax purposes

If the non-resident (physically outside US and does not qualify normal residency requirement) spouse has a TIN or SSN, then you can file jointly with her as a resident (for tax purposes). This info is present with examples in the tax manuals of IRS. However the same is not true for children.