INCOME TAX CERTIFICATE FOR RTD?? Please read!!!

pedrop

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

First of all I wanted you all to know that I my RTD was received on July 2nd and it was issued on Sept 30, 2004 and just received it today in my hands.

I received the Green RTD that reads "Travel Document". This is the first time that I plan to use this document, however, I just read a statement on Page 21 that reads:

"Information on Income Tax Laws for Holders of this Travel Document:
UNITED STATES INCOME TAX -Section 6851(d) of Title 26, provides as follows:
No alien shall depart from the United States unless he or she first procures from the Secretary or his delegate a certificate that he or she has complied with all the obligations imposed upon him or her by the income tax laws. It is suggested that you call or communicate with your local office of the District Director of Internal Revenue, United States Treasury Department for information concerning such certificate. This should be done within 30 days of the date of your proposed departure from the United States"

What the heck is this all about??? Do you have to get such certificate every time you travel if departures are more than 30 days apart????

Your help and experience is greatly appreciated as well as your prompt response.

Thanks,

Question for pedrop:
I want to clarify what you said in your first paragraph:
First of all I wanted you all to know that I my RTD was received on July 2nd and it was issued on Sept 30, 2004 and just received it today in my hands

Does this mean that US CIS received your RTD application on July 02 and then they approved/issued the RTD on Sept 30? So, the processing time is around 3 months now? Please clarify.

Another question: How can one secure the certificate as mentioned by pedrop now? This is something new then, isn't it?

Cheers!
Lee_haircut5

RTD only taking 3 months!!!

To lee_haircut5:

RTD is ONLY taking 3 MONTHS!!!! I could not believe it. Today would have been exactly 3 months since the receipt date!.

Please review the INCOME TAX CERTIFICATE issue on the Travel Document. Does anybody's RTD have such statement???? Do you know where to call to get this certificate?

Let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
IRS and RTD

HI all,
I called IRS and asked them if i needed to carry any tax papers with me to leave the country and to come back on RTD. The lady said that was a misinformation but I think one can never be sure unless one reads it in some document. If anyone has such info please post it. thanks

You can carry your last years return with you. Usually i take that. If you live in washington d.c, like i do, You can go downtown and get a certificate from the IRS for no charge..it just shows how many years you have filed your taxes...Otherwise an income tax return with you does the same thing..Its just to avoid tax evaders..