Impact of changing citizenship on US Citizenship while on US GC

dhirendra_sh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Can a US green card holder change citizenship to some other country while on US GC ? Does it impact US citizenship ? Can USCIS ask at the citizenship time, why a person became some other country's citizen while on US GC ?

Thanks

Hi,

Can a US green card holder change citizenship to some other country while on US GC ? Does it impact US citizenship ? Can USCIS ask at the citizenship time, why a person became some other country's citizen while on US GC ?

Thanks

I would imagine the answer depends on what you have to do to become the citizen of the other country. If, for example, you need to have a period of residence prior to gaining citizenship, you will almost certainly cause yourself problems with USCIS. If its more of a procedural thing (e.g. "buying" citizenship in certain Caribbean countries), then you are unlikely to have a problem.

In any case, pursuing citizenship of another country just shows bad intent about not having enough ties to the US. Plus, you are required to provide all passports at the time of interview and may have a lot of explanation to do. However, if you acquired citizenship of your spouse's native country, that might not look so bad.

I would imagine the answer depends on what you have to do to become the citizen of the other country. If, for example, you need to have a period of residence prior to gaining citizenship, you will almost certainly cause yourself problems with USCIS. If its more of a procedural thing (e.g. "buying" citizenship in certain Caribbean countries), then you are unlikely to have a problem.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has done this before. I'm guessing a person born in Australia and eligible for Australian citizenship grew up in Canada as a canadian citizen. This person can abandon (or not) canadian citizenship and acquire Australian citizenship at any time and it won't be a issue.

Why should it be a problem, if obtaining the other citizenship does not require residing in the other country while you have a green card (or residing in that country in the future, in order to maintain the citizenship)? While you have a green card, the US will expect (but not require, as some people are stateless) you to have a non-US citizenship anyway.

Having said that, it might look bad if you were pursuing your other citizenship after filing the N-400, as that could make it look like you don't really want US citizenship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I am not a guru or a lawyer, I can still apply some logic to answer your question. I don't think you will have any issues with USCIS as long as you meet all the requirements to become a USC. De'facto you are just a resident here and not a Citizen. So, you can apply to one hundred citizenships around the world and be fine as long as you reside here, pay taxes and show good morale character. Once you file for USC you'll be asked to abandon your loyalty to any monarchy, king or government and swear in to serve this country. On the other hand, if you have many passports that you used for travel purposes, this might arise some questions from an IO. I guess, in that case you'll have to answer a lot of questions.