Impact of Address Change on processing

skjun02

Registered Users (C)
I am now to 2 years into my I-485 processing. Got a 2nd FP notice recently scheduled for 06/17.

I may have to move to a new address (Currently, I drive 120 miles a day. Have been doing that for last 3.5 years for being close to my wife's school.) I just wonder what can be the impact with my address change at this advanced (??) stage.

Suppose, I move to the new address and inform USCIS. In the mean time, if they send RFEs/Approvals and it some how lands into my old address, what will be problem? In particular, does RFE/approval get sent to me or my atttorney? If it goes to my attorney, my address change will not have any impact. I can still get it from the attorney.

What other impact can there be? Can it lead to a transfer to local office? I am not planning to take any extra risk at this stage (Considering how lucky I have been all along !!!!).

I will appreciate any suggestions/comments.

-sk
RD: ?? JUN 02
ND: 25 JUN 02

skjun02 said:
I am now to 2 years into my I-485 processing. Got a 2nd FP notice recently scheduled for 06/17.

I may have to move to a new address (Currently, I drive 120 miles a day. Have been doing that for last 3.5 years for being close to my wife's school.) I just wonder what can be the impact with my address change at this advanced (??) stage.

Suppose, I move to the new address and inform USCIS. In the mean time, if they send RFEs/Approvals and it some how lands into my old address, what will be problem? In particular, does RFE/approval get sent to me or my atttorney? If it goes to my attorney, my address change will not have any impact. I can still get it from the attorney.

What other impact can there be? Can it lead to a transfer to local office? I am not planning to take any extra risk at this stage (Considering how lucky I have been all along !!!!).

I will appreciate any suggestions/comments.

-sk
RD: ?? JUN 02
ND: 25 JUN 02

I can share my experience with you....I changed my address and my wife's address too but what happend they send my papers to my home address and my wife papers to my attorney's office so my attorney had to send another letter or form to make sure that they correct the address on files....so dude dont move if you dont have to....driving far is less pain then changing address at BCIS...it took 3 months for us to make things straight....why, because everytime we call BCIS they said we have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to see the changes but guess what after 6 weeks we had to call again and that process got stop only after my attorney sent the official form to change the address. now its upto you how much risk you can take on this....

I agree with Kanadian. Your case most likely and hopefully will be approved in a month or two. What's two months compared to 3.5 years that you have already suffered?

My experience wasn't great either. I called them three times, namely in November, January, and March. They couldn't tell me if the address had changed on file. All they could do was to write down my old address and new address and submit them for processing. Finally, I got a notice from them that the address changed back in November. So, for 4 months I felt quite uneasy because of the uncertainty.

I had a totally different experience, infact a good one. This is one of the rare stories of a job well done by BCIS.

My story is I had applied I-140 in May 2003, RFE was recieved and responded to on Nov 2003. I-485, EAD and AP RD Aug 2003.
Since Nov 2003 I had no progress on my case since submitting RFE. Then I moved in April 18 2004
>> April 19th Informed BCIS of address change by calling 1800 number.
>> April 23, I-485, EAD and AP profile showed last updated on April 23.
>>April 29 I recived I-140 approval ( I am attributing this to the fact that I changed address and my file was opened) !!!
>>May 3, I got official letter from BCIS that adress has been updated.
>> May 4th EAD and AP Approved.
>> MAy 7th I recived EAD at my NEW address !

>> April 26 Wife called 800 number to inform address change (I had called from office and they wanted the actual applicant to call, so she had to call separatly herself)
>> May 5, 485 status showed last updated on May 5th
>> May 8 Wife got letter informing address changed for her 485 case file !
(Her AP and EAD were approved earlier so were not pending)

So, BCIS can do a job well sometimes ! Not that I am suggesting you to move, but just wanted to share this, 'feel good story'!.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my current I-485 stage ( filed Feb 2003 ) , I moved to a different address and filled up their USCIS change of address form and mailed it to them. The fact that I got my 2nd EAD mail from USCIS in my new address means that they have updated their system to my new address.

Re:skjun02

I moved from Kansas to Texas in Oct 2003 , I got my 2nd EAD , AP and FP to New address , as much I know that you can move but make sure that you call 800 number and update your address and also send AR11 form with certificate mail , so that you will have proof …..
Traveling 120 miles is hell …….there are lots of ways where you can get your info if you get RFE , FP because each copy will go to your attorney ……If I were in your place I will move …

Thanks
Shashi

You’ll get anecdotal experiences on dos/donts. If you do move:

1. File the usual paperwork and have a return receipt. After say a couple of weeks call USCIS to ensure they have your correct address on file. Feel free to pester the nimrods answering the phones until you get the answer you want (sometimes they say wait, or we can’t help; these guys are worthless clerks reading off a script).
2. Check your case status on-line on a regular basis. I had an RFE, and since it goes to the lawyer, I called or emailed him daily until he received it (gave 3 days for the mail to get sent). If your lawyer has your address he/she should be able to mail you the Approval Notice since he will receive a courtesy copy (that’s enough for passport stamping).
3. At the time of passport stamping you can tell the officer what your current address is. The plastic card will be mailed there. It’s best not to switch addresses between stamping and getting the card.

Good luck,
sadiq

Hi Sertra2002 where do check the profile last updated date?
You have mentioned that
"April 23, I-485, EAD and AP profile showed last updated on April 23"

Thanks

bal2002 said:
Hi Sertra2002 where do check the profile last updated date?
You have mentioned that
"April 23, I-485, EAD and AP profile showed last updated on April 23"

Thanks

I was talking of the new service from BCIS, where you can create your profile and track multiple cases. If you have not signed already, sign up and you will know what I meant.

Here is the link :
https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/selectusertype.jsp;jsessionid=eca3ACTB7h3g

P.S. - I had greater trouble updating my address with my lawyer than BCIS. I had to call lawyers office 2-3 times, as they kept sending me voice mail at my old phone repeatedly about FP notice and AP aproval. Luckily I had access to old voce mail so I could check and found out they still had my old address even after I called to update them. BCIS score 1 - Lawyer 0 :) !