immigrant problem

von

Hi, i'm new to this forum and to this topic (so, don't be too harsh on me :D ). Anyways, We were petitioned to go to the states by my grandmother, and next year hopefully, we can go there. My question is, can i petition my fiance once i arrive there? or do i have to wait for years in order to bring her here in america?
what must i do and are there any legal process that could speed up the process?

hoped you can help me with my dilemma. and thanks in advance! :D

von said:
Hi, i'm new to this forum and to this topic (so, don't be too harsh on me :D ). Anyways, We were petitioned to go to the states by my grandmother, and next year hopefully, we can go there. My question is, can i petition my fiance once i arrive there? or do i have to wait for years in order to bring her here in america?
what must i do and are there any legal process that could speed up the process?
Assuming that you will be becoming permanent resident on your entry to the US, there is going to be a long wait that would be required before your fiancé gets to come to the US.

newdawn said:
Need more info. If you are coming as an immigrant, then there is a K visa.

Hi. yes, were coming as immigrant. so, what are the chances that i could get my fiance ASAP? Do i have to wait for my citizenship (correct me if im wrong, but it's 5yrs. right?) Or i could petition her (using k visa) as soon as i get there?

thanks again!
:D

K visa only applies to USC.
An LPR sponsoring a spouse would be Family Second Preference (2A). Priority date on 2A category is currently March 2002 for most countries except Mexico, which is May 2000.

So I don't see much option but waiting, unless you are already married and somehow eligible for follow-to-join rights. (Needs a diversity or employment-based visa).

@boatbod

Hi. i see, the k-visa applies only for usc. What is the minimum time of waiting in order for me to file a petition for my fiance once i get there?

Von,

Once you arrive in the US as an LPR, you can file an I-130 petition immediately. Once the petition is approved, the intending immigrant must wait for their priority date to become current (i.e. a visa number has become available) before they are able to go through consular processing and be approved for LPR.

As of January, there is a 5 year wait for immigrant visas in the Family 2A category, which means total time is 5yrs+time for I-130 approval (e.g. 3-6 months).

The green card is the worst status to be in for people hoping to bring family into the US. The wait times are too much. Hypothetically speaking if your girlfriend was studying in the US and you were to get married here then she can live with you when you apply for adjustment of status, but it will be difficult to travel outside of the country while she is in that state.