If your H1B expires and the H1B extension approval doesn\'t come before that, what do you do?

hello

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
My H1B is expiring on Jan 1, 2002. My employer has filed for an extension during end of October. Though AVM says that it will take between 30-60 days, can I still work legally if the extension doesn\'t arrive in time? Do I get an automatic 6 month extension because I filed for the extension? How do I file I-9 in that case?

You are in status

You can also continue working pending H1 extension approval for the next 180 (or is it 240?) days. Do you need to file a new I-9 ? This is a document held by your employer. If your employer insists on a new I-9 after 1/02 and before approval of extension you can check with legal/ HR dept. If it were me I would put in the receipt # and make a note that it is filed in time and pending approval.

I agree with you Grin

I\'ve never seen the I-9 as a huge problem, but I guess it could be in the event of an INS investigation. BTW, it\'s 240 days.

Jim

travelling while H1-B extension pending

Sorry for this intrusion, but you seem to be the guru over here.
I am so desparate to get some information, I hope, maybe you
could provide some clues.

I am on an H1-B that expires on feb 18, 2002 (also
the I94 card in my passport). The H1B-extension was
filed on sept 25, 2001 but has not yet come through.
Now I am leaving US on dec 11, 2001 for a month to India.
Could there be any problem when I re-enter the US on
Jan 8, 2002 ? I mean my visa would be expiring in a month
and the immigration-officer might not like that fact. Also
if my extension is not approved before I leave on dec 11,
2001, does that mean, my application is null and void and
I\'d have to re-file for H1-B extension ? Could someone
please provide some help/info in this regard ? I am
very anxious and if I need to change my travel plans then
sooner the better.

Thanks.
-Mukesh

I-94 and H1 Expired but renewal approved later date. Jim or anyone who have such expereince, please

Hello my friend,

It\'s always nice to have someone as a guru around!

My case is a little bit different. My H1-B visa expired in Nov 15 2001. I entered US on July 30 2001 and the Immigration officer wrote on my I-94 that I could only stay in US up till Nov 15th. On Oct 24th I submitted my renewal and on Oct 26th INS issued I-129. On Dec 3rd, My H1-B Extension was approved by INS. My questions would be

1.) Do I need to do something with my I-94?
2.) I need to leave US for an emergency soon, probably in Jan/ begining of Feb. What would be the best way to get a new visa stamp?

Thank you very much.

TungFong

H1B extension

you can either send your visa for revalidation at st louis missouri. I just sent my passport y\'day. i have done the same thing last yr too. i know it works. my friend\'s case took 5 weeks. it can take more time too. last time my case took 8 weeks. the site www.travel.state.gov has all the info. you need to send 45$ money order, filled 156 form, employment letter from company, passport and original approval letter. Other thing you can do is that ask home country\'s embassy and i have heard that the latest is that one just drop the passport with other stuff in a dropbox and they mail it after stamping it to your home(american consulate at india do that)
hope that helps.
chicago dol.

No Title

yeah, my I-94( and H1b visa) expired on this Dec 1 and i sent the passport for stamping on dec 5. One more good thing is that incase you are very close to ur departure date and still you don\'t have the passport back you can request them(through fax.) and they will return your PP without stamp and you can go to ur home country and get it stamped. do one thing and make photocopy of PP and visa approval before you send it to st louis.
hope that helps.
Amit.

No Title

chicago dol: You wrote \'yeah, my I-94( and H1b visa) expired on this Dec 1 and i sent the passport for stamping on dec 5\'. You mean your I-94 and visa both expired on 12/1/2001 and you sent in your passport for revalidation on 12/5/2001, right? Did you have any I-94, white card or grey card (with I-797), which would be valid beyond 12/1/2001 when you submitted your application? Didn\'t you also have to send in reciprocity fee? Thnx