If Name check is bottleneck, why some DOs faster?

zouy

Registered Users (C)
Based on what I seen in this forum, it seems most of people wait for name check to be cleared before interview can be scheduled by the USCIS service center. However It seems some DOs are faster, while some are consistently slow. What is the role of local USCIS office in the processing time estimate?

N-400 sent Nov 22
FP done Dec 21
IV Letter ??
IV date ??
Oath date ??

District offices are not scheduling any interview until the background/name check is cleared. Once the name check is cleared, it depends on the work load of the district office. If district office is already behind the work load, then it takes longer for them to send the interview letters.

Yep, I think springbranch is right. Most name checks are cleared pretty quickly (I think in a couple of weeks), then the actual interview depends on the load they have at the district office.

I checked recently with an immigration office at infopass appointment and she said my case is still in background check. It has been two months, I think my history are pretty clean, except for several minor speeding ticket, nothing wrong.

The first name check has nothing to do with your history being clean or not.
It is just an algoritm comparing different versions/combinations of yur full name with some suspect names. So you can get stuck in name check with a clean history just because of name similarity.

The most common reason for name check delay is not your own record.
If you name/date of birth/other criteria is similar to somebody else who has a positive record, then the name check is put into a file, somebody someday will pick up that file and manualy clear the name check process.

If you name check clears the automated process, then you won't have any delay, but if it has to be processed manually, it would take weeks, months, sometimes even years to clear.

Just out of curiosity, how long (approximately) have you been living in the U.S. I have a hypothesis that the longer you live in the country the bigger the chances you have to get stuck in background check, because older records are paper based and take longer to check by the FBI. The problem with this is that most of the time the delay is not your fault.

I've been to states for nearly 12 years. It is a long tiring immigration process. My first name was cut in half when I got green card, so I got a middle name from nowhere. I asked before my application at infopass, officer said no problem just bring birth certificate at interview. Maybe that's why I possibly got more name matches, you never know.

Here is a link to a FAQ on name checking:

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm

I can't remember where I saw that at some point in the nineties the records changed to electronic format, and before that were paper based. I believe the paper based is very slow.

The relevant quote from the FAQ follows:
"A secondary manual name search conducted within 30-60 days usually identifies additional requests as having a "No Record." The remaining name checks (usually about 10% of the name checks originally submitted) are identified as possibly being the subject of an FBI record. At that point, the FBI record must be retrieved and reviewed. If the record is available in the FBI's electronic record keeping system, it can be reviewed quickly. If not, the relevant information must be retrieved from an existing paper record. Review of this information determines whether the information is positively identified with the name check request. If the information is not identified with the request, the request is closed as a "No Record," and the requesting agency is notified as such."

You might have hit the paper record slowdown :(

And now, more information from an older document, I think this is the document from where the nineties thing came from, it mentions 1995 as the date when the electronic records system was introduced:
http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress03/garrity071003.htm

"I have touched upon our IT systems shortcomings, but now I want to discuss the primary factor in any delay in the FBI responding to a visa name check. When the NNCP systems produces a "Hit" or an "Ident" that requires further review, the analyst must consult the actual file. If he or she is lucky, the file has been uploaded into our electronic recordkeeping system, ACS, and can be instantly accessed from her workstation computer. This system only came on-line in October 1995, so often the full text of the information has not been uploaded and the analyst must resort to the paper record. Paper records are divided into two basic file categories: active files and closed files. Active files are, as the name suggests, current, on-going investigations, analytical projects, or administrative functions. Closed files are records of past investigations or functions, now inactive, but for which the FBI is required to retain the records, either in satisfaction of statutory authority or regulations, or because the information contained in the closed file represents a key component to FBI's intelligence base.

FBI files are currently stored at one of approximately 265 locations, including the FBI's Headquarters facility, several warehouses around the Washington Metropolitan area, in records centers either operated by the NARA or commercial concerns, four large Information Technology Center facilities on the east and west coast, at each of the 56 field offices, many of the larger of our 400 resident agencies, and at legal attaché offices worldwide. This equates to approximately 1.8 million cubic feet of decentralized records storage, which provides some unique challenges to our efforts to be optimally effective and efficient. While the FBI's decentralized paper records management process does ease field investigations and local prosecutions - a process that may have sufficed before September 11, 2001 - those terrorist attacks have forced the FBI to shift from parochial investigations to nationwide intelligence gathering and sharing.

In addition, statutory authorities for domestic law-enforcement and international intelligence agencies have been expanded (e.g., USA PATRIOT Act), increasing the number of agencies requesting FBI information. As the FBI is called upon to share and/or jointly investigate complex cases, it must share information internally and with other cooperating organizations. Currently, analysts conducting research on terrorism or intelligence topics who develop leads based on information indexed in files located outside Washington, DC must request those files be retrieved from the shelves and shipped to FBI Headquarters. The decentralized records management system hinders timely nationwide investigations and information sharing, since much time and effort is expended simply locating and shipping files across the United States. Beyond file retrieval delays, records security and document safety are also a growing concern.

Delays have resulted from NNCP personnel identifying a file's location then requesting the file from a field office. Time delays mount as field office staff search file rooms and then ship the needed file or a prepared summary to FBI Headquarters. This process – repeated for many tasks, not only dilutes the FBI's responsiveness, but also limits information sharing – a critical success factor in working counterintelligence and counterterrorism cases. The name check delays have significant consequences to FBI customers and stakeholders. The delays impede hiring or clearing skilled workers; completing government contracts; student enrollment, and as is the interest of this Committee, clearing requested visas for business visits to the United States. More importantly than all of the foregoing, these processing delays can also diminish counterterrorism effectiveness.

One possible solution to these problems the FBI is exploring would be a central records repository where all of our closed paper files could be located, and our active files stored electronically. Our frequently requested closed files could be scanned and uploaded into our electronic record-keeping system, so that Agents and analysts world wide would have instant, electronic access to the information they need to do their jobs.

Conclusion

All of these efforts reflect the FBI's recognition of the importance of accurate and timely name check processing. I want to emphasize to you, this issue has the full attention of Director Mueller. The FBI appreciates the interest of the Committee in this matter. I thank you for your invitation to speak to you today and look forward to working with you in the future. I am prepared to answer any questions the Committee may have."

PS: I hope people start referring to this thread, because it is becoming a bit tiresome to answer the same name check questions again and again, by me and others :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you receive the interview letter yet?
I still did not receive anything even though my N-400 Priority Date in VSC is Nov. 13, 2006?

The officers of the DO may be taking their own time to process cases and name check has nothing to do with it. It looked very much like it because around the holiday season last Nov/Dec a lot of people mysteriously got Desched letters.

A couple of thoughts:

Firstly, I'm fairly certain its a service center responsibility to schedule your interview. (Yeah, I know, doesn't make much sense, but check your interview letter postmark... it comes from the SC). Your case file gets sent to the DO around the same time your interview letter gets sent out. IMHO this explains why sometimes interviews get descheduled - basically because the SC sent the interview letter, but the DO never received the file, so they then have to cancel the interview until the file turns up.

Secondly, I think you'll find that some DO's are busier than others, and perhaps staffing/budget issues also play a part. I suspect that busier DOs's have their processes a little more streamlines, plus more staff available to help balance caseload.

So anyway, processing times vary, and there isn't much anyone can do about it, except perhaps relocate, but that itself brings on a whole new set of problems!

Your case file gets sent to the DO around the same time your interview letter gets sent out. IMHO this explains why sometimes interviews get descheduled - basically because the SC sent the interview letter, but the DO never received the file, so they then have to cancel the interview until the file turns up.
That's pretty much what happened to me (from what I can tell). My interview as scheduled, but my file didn't show up at the DO until 2 weeks before the scheduled interview (which was a few days after they sent the deschedule notice). Then, of course, it took them 4 or 5 months and the intervention of a senator to get them to reschedule my interview.

My understanding of the process is similar to boatbod's, though I imagine that the DO has some gating mechanism to say (to the SC) "OK, we can take another 30 people for interviews". It would make no sense for the SC to "push" interviews to unprepared DOs. It makes more sense for DOs to "pull" interviews from the SCs (with each "pull" resulting in an interview letter.

I imagine that the DO has some gating mechanism to say (to the SC) "OK, we can take another 30 people for interviews". It would make no sense for the SC to "push" interviews to unprepared DOs. It makes more sense for DOs to "pull" interviews from the SCs (with each "pull" resulting in an interview letter.

I'm sure they use some sort of computerized scheduling database - this is 2007 after all. (Wait, what am I saying, mustn't forget we're talking about a federal agency :rolleyes:)

but didn't they do a name check before issuing GC? So all they should be focussed about is our activities for the past 5 years

I'm not sure about that - I think it really depends whether your GC was processed before or after the 9/11 tightening of security procedures.