If my company refuse to disclose income information, can I get my I-140 approved?

Annalise

On I-140 form, there are 2 items for employer to fill in: Gross income and Net income of the company. My company is privately owned and the owner refused to disclose this information. If I left these 2 items blank and submit my I-140, will INS disapprove?

Thanks in advance

Most likely INS will want to see this information...

Also for a small company, they will want to see tax returns to see if the company can afford to pay your salary.

One of the main things that the INS is looking for when they process the I140 is the ability of the company to pay the salary, so you will need to get this information from the employer.

If the company is not willing to give you the information, you have have them forward it directly to the lawyer assuring them that you won\'t have access to it.

Hope this helps.

My company says...

My company told me orally the information, but they refuse to put it down to the form. They said they don\'t want to disclose it to public. They refuse to provide tax return too. The financial officer agreed to present a statement that they can pay my salary. This company employs 100+ employees. Is that enough to show INS?

I don\'t know who the employer thinks he\'s keeping secrets from

He files tax returns with the federal government quarterly. The government already has this information. The company must show the ability to pay the offered wage. For corporations with more than 100 employees, INS normally accepts a statement from the CFO that the corporation can pay the offered wage but I have never tried it where the CFO did not also state what the company\'s revenues and profits were. Maybe INS will accept it but they may not. I\'ve never tried it without the revenue statements so I can\'t say for sure whether INS will accept it or not.

Jim

James D. Mills
(formerly Jim M)
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702