If i renew my visa, will i be subject to another 2 yr home residency?

Demmy123

Hello All,
I am on a J1 visa and i got a waiver of the 2 year home residency. My visa expires in September, 2011 but my DS 2019 is still valid till August, 2012. My question is this: if i renew my visa, will i be subject to another 2 yr home residency?
Pls, i really need an answer to this?

I do not know whether you can get J1 visa after showing your immigrant intention by doing J1-waiver.

I did J1 waiver. My immigration lawyer told me not to try to renew my J1 visa while I was waiting for the result of J1 waiver. Applying for J1 waiver is considered to be immigrant intention. The US Embassy officer can see my request of J1 waiver (immigrant intention) on their computer and they will not give me J1 visa, whichi is for nonimmigrant purpose. If we show immigrant intention, we will not get nonimmigrant visa. Because of this, my lawyer told me never try to leave from US untill I get J1 waiver result. Otherwise, I will not be able to get into US. My lawyer told me to stay in US with valid DS-019 and expired J1 visa. For valid DS-2019, I did extend my DS-2019 while I was waiting for my J1 waiver result. (The same J1 program has been my visa sponcer.) Isn't this option for you?

Hello All,
I am on a J1 visa and i got a waiver of the 2 year home residency. My visa expires in September, 2011 but my DS 2019 is still valid till August, 2012. My question is this: if i renew my visa, will i be subject to another 2 yr home residency?
Pls, i really need an answer to this?

To get J1 visa or to renew J1 visa, you have to sign on DS-2019. On DS-2019 there is a column that talks about 2 years home residency. You can see it on your previous/current DS-2019. Ask your J1 program visa officer if he can give you DS-2019 that states you are not subject to 2 years home residency requirement. If you get this kingd of DS-2019, the J1 visa you will get is J1 visa without 2 years home residency requirement. I recommend you to check these with your J1 program visa officer.

If you get J1 visa with "DOES subject to 2 years home residency", you may have to to J1 waiver process again. For this, you may want to get information from immigration lawyer.

One of my friends got awarded scholarship from J1 program that gives J1 visa with 2 years home residency requirement. She had an US citizen boy friend and did not want to have the requierement. She went to talk with the big boss in the program. Then, she postophoned her start in the program one or two semester, got married to her US citizen boy friend, and applied for marriage-based GC. Then, she participated in the program as GC holder, without worry about 2 years home residency requirement. Some program may be this flexible. Other progtam may not. Check with your program.

Last edited by a moderator: