If I am a U.S. citizen, is my child a U. S. citizen?

pmvl

Registered Users (C)
After becoming a citizen next week what are the procedures for me to follow so i can obtain a passport for my foreign born child whom is a visa waiver from Norway with no green card but is here as a visitor the child is 3 yrs old.
How long does it take to process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does not the parent of minor child who is a visitor and not a 'permanent resident' need to file 'adjustment of status' for the child first?

I quickly read the instructions for N-600. Ther child will need to have been legally admitted to the US as a permanent resident. And, boy, the documentation requirements for N-600 seem to be much more stringent than for N-400!! That is my quick reading.

If the child is a permanent resident with A#, then the parent can apply for the child's passport. This will serve as proof of citizenship at least until age 21. I gather that after 21, some institutions like universities demand "Certificate of Citizenship" obtained through filing N-600. They do not apparently accept passport as sufficient proof. Silly, if you ask me!

Universities need the Certificate for grants and scholarships, if the student is 21 and over. Under 21, they accept permanent resident status or the US passport. This is what I have learned from friends, so please do not treat it as gospel truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi pmvl

At the Oath ceremony I went to, they said the child could become a citizen on the same day as the parent as long as the child comes to the ceremony with you...

To get the Naturalization Certificate for the child, you then apply for N-600. This is what the Oath officer said...I am not sure if he said that the child had to be a green card holder or not...

I would suggest you ask the Oath officer at your ceremony next week...and take your child with you just in case...

Good luck!

Ratrat

pmvl said:
After becoming a citizen next week what are the procedures for me to follow so i can obtain a passport for my foreign born child whom is a visa waiver from Norway with no green card but is here as a visitor the child is 3 yrs old.
How long does it take to process.

Since your child is a visitor in the US and not a US permanent resident you will have to first petition him to be a permanent resident by filing I-130 and I-485. Once he becomes a LPR, he is eligible to immediately acquire US citizenship. You need to file N-600, application for certificate of citizenship.
For more details refer to "A guide to Naturalization", pages 17 and 18. For your benefit I have included an extract from those pages:

A child who is:
• born to a U.S. citizen who did not live in (or come to) the United States
for a period of time prior to the child’s birth, or
• born to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent or two alien parents
who naturalize after the child’s birth, or
• who is adopted and is permanently residing in the United States

can become a U.S. citizen by action of law on the date on which all of the following requirements have been met:
• The child was lawfully admitted for permanent residence*, and
• Either parent was a United States citizen by birth or naturalization**; and
• The child was still under 18 years of age; and
• The child was not married; and
• The child was the parent’s legitimate child or was legitimated by the parent before the child’s 16th birthday (Stepchildren or children born out of wedlock who were not legitimated before their 16th birthday do not derive United States citizenship through their parents.); and
• If adopted, the child met the requirements of section 101(b)(1)(E) or (F) and has had a full and final adoption; and
• The child was residing in the United States in the legal custody of the U.S. citizen parent (this includes joint custody); and
• The child was residing in the United States in the physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.
If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may submit an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to USCIS to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. (Note: a child who meets these requirements before his or her 18th
birthday may obtain a passport of Certificate of Citizenship at any time, even after he or she turns 18).

Ratrat,
You can always depend on you.
I will do that.
Yes is yes and no is no i will also take any nessary papers to file n600k and a petition for ailen relative,i m not sure of the petition but i have filled it out.
I will be traveling to south africa 5 days after my oath.
I have already secure an appointment at the passport office after my oath.
You said it takes anyway from 4hrs i have a morning appt so i have an afternoon appt at the passport office.

When i had the baby i went 4 days after i reived the birthcertificate with my airline tickets and one for her and i recived the passport the same day. estimate it took 4 hrs to wait.

ratrat said:
At the Oath ceremony I went to, they said the child could become a citizen on the same day as the parent as long as the child comes to the ceremony with you...

The child is automatically a citizen if conditions described in this thread are met. He/She need not go to the oath ceremony. In any case, as far as I know, there is no arrangement at the oath ceremony to verify ther child's status. Citizenship is confirmed by Certificate (obtained after filing N-600) or by passport.

The child is automatically a citizen if conditions described in this thread are met. He/She need not go to the oath ceremony.

Well then I guess the Oath officer said the child could come to the ceremony just for the "fanciness" of it! :)

Would they take long to process the AOS of a baby (similar to the 2+ years it sometimes takes for a spouse/relative)?

Ratrat

nkm-oct23 said:
Since your child is a visitor in the US and not a US permanent resident you will have to first petition him to be a permanent resident by filing I-130 and I-485. Once he becomes a LPR, he is eligible to immediately acquire US citizenship. You need to file N-600, application for certificate of citizenship.
For more details refer to "A guide to Naturalization", pages 17 and 18. For your benefit I have included an extract from those pages:

Information for Adoptive Parents with Children Residing Abroad, January 2004

Some adopted and biological children do not qualify for automatic citizenship as stated under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. However, U.S. citizen parents may still apply for U.S. citizenship for their adopted children who permanently reside abroad.

Frequently Asked Questions on Children Residing Abroad

1) Is automatic citizenship provided for children living outside the United States?

No. In order for a foreign-born child living outside the United States to acquire citizenship, the U.S. citizen parent must still apply for naturalization on behalf of the child. The naturalization process for such a child cannot take place overseas. The child will need to be in the United States temporarily to complete naturalization processing and take the oath of allegiance.

To be eligible, a child must meet the following requirements:

The child has at least one U.S. citizen parent (by birth or naturalization);
The U.S. citizen parent has been physically present in the United States for at least five years, at least two of which were after the age of 14–or the U.S. citizen parent has a citizen parent who has been physically present in the United States for at least five years, at least two of which were after the age of 14;
The child is under 18 years of age;
The child is residing outside the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent or, the U.S. citizen grandparent or legal guardian, if the U.S. citizen parent died.
The child is temporarily present in the United States-having entered the United States lawfully and maintaining lawful status in the United States; and
The child must meet the requirements applicable to adopted children under immigration law
If the U.S. citizen parent of the child has died, a U.S. citizen grandparent or legal guardian may apply on behalf of the child within 5 years of the parent's death. (Note: For further information, please see Addition of Citizen Grandparents and Citizen Legal Guardians as Eligible Applicants pursuant to INA 322)

If the naturalization application is approved, the child must take the same oath of allegiance administered to adult naturalization applicants. If the child is too young to understand the oath, USCIS may waive the oath requirement.

2) I am filing for a child who lives abroad. What documents do I have to submit with the form?

If your child has not immigrated to the United States (does not have a "green card"), you should submit:

Photographs of your child,
Fee,
Your child's birth certificate,
Your birth certificate or naturalization certificate,
Your marriage certificate (if applicable),
Evidence of termination of previous marriages (if applicable),
Evidence of a full and final adoption (if applicable),
Evidence of all legal name changes (if applicable), and
Form N-600k.

filing I-130 and I-485 ARE NOT MENTIONED

Pmvl,

Please state the source document of the paragraphs you posted. They are slighly at variance from Naturalization Guide. Thanks.

pmvl,

Thanks for the link. On reading this, it appears that you may be able to apply for naturalization of your child. I suggest you consult an immigration attorney to confirm and then apply immediately you become citizen.

N600k

I have a similar though a little different problem,
I will be a citizen soon, from previous marrage I have 2 children (12 and 15 years old), who live in Germany with my ex. we share custody and they visit me often, is N600K the proper way for them become citizens?

Hi pmvl

To get the Naturalization Certificate for the child, you then apply for N-600. This is what the Oath officer said...I am not sure if he said that the child had to be a green card holder or not...

I would suggest you ask the Oath officer at your ceremony next week...and take your child with you just in case...

Ratrat

This is wrong, child doesn't need to go to ceremony.

My 2 cents.

N-600K is the proper form for naturalizing children who are not permanent residents. The part that is unclear to me is the bit about custody - it seems the USC parent must have custody of the child, yet that itself implies the USC parent lives abroad with the child.

Seems like an appropriate topic to discuss with an immigration lawyer.

And, I believe that the child must be a US permanent resident. If they are resident in Germany, I believe you'd need to petition them in, get them GCs, and then presto, they become USCs (but, I'm not an expert here).

I have a similar though a little different problem,
I will be a citizen soon, from previous marrage I have 2 children (12 and 15 years old), who live in Germany with my ex. we share custody and they visit me often, is N600K the proper way for them become citizens?
I don't think they are eligible for aquired citizenship unless they are permanent residents right now. The original poster violated the immigration law by bringing his child on VWP. You cannot come to US on VWP with intent to immigrate, which is exactly what he did with his child. I wonder what happened to his case. It certainly looks like he would have a lot of complications. He tried to use a short cut, and the child would've been out of status after 3 months and would have to go back to Norway or stay in US illegally.

You have to sponsor them for green card first, and then they are eligible for citizenship right away, at which time they would most likely be past their 18th birthday (because sponsoring unmarried children of US citizens currently takes more than 6 years). So, it means they will have to get US citizenships on their own.

Here are the rules:
(1) at least one parent of the child is a U.S. citizen, whether by birth or naturalization;
(2) the child is under 18 years of age; and
(3) the child is residing in the U.S. in the legal and physical custody of the citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence.

And, I believe that the child must be a US permanent resident. If they are resident in Germany, I believe you'd need to petition them in, get them GCs, and then presto, they become USCs (but, I'm not an expert here).

Flydog, I think its N-600 for permanent resident children, or N-600K for non-resident children. Either way, they need to be legally present in the US to actually be naturalized.

In this instance it appears the correct route would be to petition I-130 to get LPR for the child, then apply with a regular N-600. The N-600K overseas route would appear not to be applicable since the OP resides in the US and currently does not have custody.