I94 - Passport Expire and Visa issue

Shabbir Rahman

Registered Users (C)
My situation bit complecated, let me describe ..

* My Old passport going to expire on 29th March, 2008.
* So, my I94 also going to expire on 29th March, 2008.
* My visa is valid up to 18th December, 2007, it's on old passport.
* I797 is valid upto September, 2009.
* Now I have new passport will will expire after 5 year.

Now, I need to get new I94. To do this, I think I just need to go out of US and re-enter. Is there any rule like, visa always have to be in the new passport - if so then I have to take appointment to embassy for stamping. That will take long time, my current visa going to expire before that.

If not, thinking of going to Mexico by road, cross border walking. Because I heard if I cross border walking, then I don't need Mexican visa (Now I don't have time to get Mexican visa before 18th December) . Just after crossing the border , re-enter to USA, face customs and get new I94 before 18th December. What is you suggession, is it right way to extend I94?

Not sure how the Mexican border issues works, but the visa in the Old Passport is remains valid even if the passport gets expired. On the above basis, you should get a new I-94 by travelling abroad.

You can get your new passport and file an I-94 extension, then you do not have to leave, they will send you another I-797 with an I-94 at the bottom which becomes your latest one.

Just make sure you file the I-94 extension before your current I-94 is expired